Bad dealers

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
Last year our 1 year old Abbey had its first service at the dealership where we bought the caravan. On our first trip following that service the brakes caught fire on the M4. The caravan was returned to the dealer who said it was my fault for attaching the breakaway cable too tightly. Strange that we had towed many thousands of miles without a hitch (no pun intended) with the cable attached in exactly the same way.I was left with a bill of over £300 to rebuild the brakes.

A year later I rather stupidly went back to the same dealer for the second service (another £210). As we live 100 miles away we decided to stay local to the dealer for the weekend. We picked the van up at 5pm and drove the 4 miles to the chosen site. Halfway there the brakes came on. I managed to get to the site, phoned the dealer and late Saturday morning a technician came out to the site and told me that the brakes had been adjusted wrongly (too tight), he readjusted correctly. I test drove twice around the site and all seemed well. On our way home on the Monday we called in to the dealer to complain (and to mention the coincidence of the previous year). The Service Manager was apologetic and offered us a free service next year (ironic or what?). Three quarters of a mile from the dealer and a couple of hundred yards from the motorway slip road the nearside wheel came off the caravan, smashing the motor mover, wheel hub etc. Our pride and joy was in a sorry state. You can imagine how we felt. The van was recovered to the dealership where it is currently being repaired. This time they claim to have discovered a bent brake rod (caused by me apparently) which caused the brake problem. They still don't know what caused the wheel to come off. I have been offered no compensation and trading standards state the dealer only has to put right the problems.

I have not mentioned the dealer's name as they still have our caravan and I fear that the Moderator would be less than pleased.

If we cannot trust a caravan fresh from service when can we trust it? What should I expect from my dealer or is this shoddy service typical? Please feel free to give any advice or indeed to share your tales of woe.

Caveat Emptor strikes again!

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
as a trained caravan technician myself and a caravan aftersales manager i am disgusted to read this sorry tale. without going into too many details, the dealer has been at fault from start to finish and most certainly caused the problem last year by incorrectly adjusting the brakes. it would appear the dealer doesnt have either correctly trained or experienced technicians. i say this because brake adjustment is one of the simplest jobs to do correctly, and i would stick my neck out and say the wheel nuts have not been torqued to the correct pressure using a calibrated wrench. either way the dealer should pick the bill up for all the repairs without arguement. once the repairs have been done, instruct the dealer you will be taking it straight from there to another dealer/service centre to have their work inspected because i wouldnt have any faith in them repairing it correctly.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Homer, firstly thank you for not naming the dealer at this time, I know how much you would like to, and I am sure many others would like to know to stop being put in the same position, but as we know, that cannot happen here, maybe after it is all over.

As for the events you outline I can only echo Caravan Oracle and say without doubt the wheel nuts were not correctly tightened and that brake problems should be a thing of the past if th eperson servicing your van was properly trained, which would appear they are not.

As for bending a brake rod,,,,well,better not say anything about that except it would be highly unlikely.

I think I would be looking at some compensation for all the trouble you have been put to, never mind the danger.

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
as a trained caravan technician myself and a caravan aftersales manager i am disgusted to read this sorry tale. without going into too many details, the dealer has been at fault from start to finish and most certainly caused the problem last year by incorrectly adjusting the brakes. it would appear the dealer doesnt have either correctly trained or experienced technicians. i say this because brake adjustment is one of the simplest jobs to do correctly, and i would stick my neck out and say the wheel nuts have not been torqued to the correct pressure using a calibrated wrench. either way the dealer should pick the bill up for all the repairs without arguement. once the repairs have been done, instruct the dealer you will be taking it straight from there to another dealer/service centre to have their work inspected because i wouldnt have any faith in them repairing it correctly.
Thanks, sounds like good advice. That would at least give me some peace of mind. The technician who came out to me said that when adjusting the brakes he locks them and turns the adjuster back about 10 clicks. At the service the technician had only clicked back 3 or 4 times.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
If Homer's dealer didn't renew the one shot hub nut could that be the reason for the wheel coming off?

Not all the dealers out there are bad, but you seem to have hit the jackpot!

I'd have an independent survey carried out by a goodun. We are allowed to mention good ones. Where are you Homer and what make have you?

Cheers

Dustydog

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
If Homer's dealer didn't renew the one shot hub nut could that be the reason for the wheel coming off?

Not all the dealers out there are bad, but you seem to have hit the jackpot!

I'd have an independent survey carried out by a goodun. We are allowed to mention good ones. Where are you Homer and what make have you?

Cheers

Dustydog
Hi, the van is an Abbey 495 (dealer special so can't mention the exact model) and we live in sunny Porthcawl in South Wales.

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi, the van is an Abbey 495 (dealer special so can't mention the exact model) and we live in sunny Porthcawl in South Wales.
Dear Homer

as a fellow South Walian (if there is such a word as Walian)

Can I reccomend the Caravan Hospital at St Hilary on the A48.

Only around the corner from you by comparison and I have to say have had all my services and repairs done over the passed 5 years. I would highly recommend them.

I even phoned them from France one year for some advice

MikeyV

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts