Bad experience with recovery of caravan

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I am new to the forum - so hello to you all. I'm just casting the net to see if any of you have been unfortunate enough to have a similar experience to us. Long story short, our car broke down towing our caravan in France in June and had to be recovered to the UK for a major repair under warranty. The caravan stayed behind when we left as we didn't have a hire car with a tow bar and the insurers sent a company called Eclipse to bring the caravan back to Scotland. The caravan did not arrive home in one piece. The recovery driver told my OH that he had made an emergency stop and the hitch was damaged. This was visible on the van when it arrived home. One of the Managers of Eclipse phoned us and apologised personally and said all repairs would be covered. We just about managed to tow it to our local Lunar dealer/workshop and they gave us the devastating news that they couldn't fix the van as the fixings have all come adrift. They took photos and sent them to Lunar and Lunar said that they could not repair the van either as the damage is so severe. We have made several calls to Eclipse and have been assured that they will send their insurance assessor to check the vehicle but so far nothing has happend. Lunar has suggested that there is a workshop in Lancashire which does manage to repair "terminally sick" caravans. We are constantly chasing Eclipse to either get it to Lancashire to see if it can be repaired or to get their insurers on the case. We re currently being given the run around and have the feeling that their driver may have played down his "emergency stop". Not only this,we have lost the whole of July and August's use of the van plus our planned caravan holiday next week has had to be replaced with a more costly static caravan hire. Has anyone else had an experience like this and if so what was the outcome ?

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
it appears eclipse is now prt of kavanagh group https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kavanagh-Motor-Group-Canterbury/202247469794620 hope this helps

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I take it that your van was insured by you , and if this is the case, the fact that the van is not repairable renders it a write off surely your Insurance should pay you for the van.
It is up to them to chase Eclipse to recover their pay out.
After all said and done, it was your insurer who contracted Eclipse to recover the van, not your choice, so it is up to them, not you, to chase Eclipse.

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi Moyzey,

I'm sorry to hear your troubles but the van insurance people should be on the ball here.
Was it the car insurance who sent for the van or the caravan insurance?
You may be able to claim off the van ins who can counter claim off the car ins who can counter claim off the recovery people.
You should also get compensated for loss of use.
Just make sure it's written as a "no fault" claim. Or you will get stung on renewal.
Either way you are in for a long haul from my experience a few years ago.
Good luck

Phil Q

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to all. We are on the way to being sorted now. Our insurer has been contacted and will be coming to assess the damage tommorrow. At last!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Good to hear. The caravan insurer should repair the caravan for you and chase up Eclipse after that. You will have to claim the excess yourself and for any loss of use through not being able to use it.
I take it the repairer is Crossley's that Lunar referred to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts