Bailey anti tamper wheel bolts

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all
Picked up my new Bailey Pursuit last weekend and slowly working round it finding out about all the new things. Now I have one query regarding the WSL anti tamper wheel bolts fitted. I have been supplied with a wheel brace but should I not have some sort of fitment to go over the anti tamper bolts to enable the brace to fit. Has it been missed out of the caravan, possibly when they had the wheels off to fit the motor mover?
Thanks for any answers before I possibly make a fool of myself and contact the dealer........

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Yes you need the adapter part as that is unique to the set of bolts fitted to your van...
It looks like this one below ...
When i fitted them to my van the set came with TWO adapters ;)
safety-bolt.jpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
MeonIan said:
Hi all
Picked up my new Bailey Pursuit last weekend and slowly working round it finding out about all the new things. Now I have one query regarding the WSL anti tamper wheel bolts fitted. I have been supplied with a wheel brace but should I not have some sort of fitment to go over the anti tamper bolts to enable the brace to fit. Has it been missed out of the caravan, possibly when they had the wheels off to fit the motor mover?
Thanks for any answers before I possibly make a fool of myself and contact the dealer........

Whilst I hope the other answers may well have resolved your question, but the fact is the dealer has not told you about it and where it should be. That is part of their job as dealers at handover.
You should certainly not be considered a fool to ask such a question, the fool is the person that doesn't ask! :huh:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Emailed dealer last night asking for a call early today, they called and said it should have been in the info pack but apologise as it wasn't, they are posting me one first class so when it arrives hopefully all will be okay.
Now looking forward to first trip next weekend, week at the Cheddar CC site, yippee.......................

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
You mention you have been provided with a "wheel brace"; are you sure it is a wheel brace and not a "steady brace"?
The latter are typically unsuitable for the torques needed to undo and do up wheel bolts. I had a steady brace and a wheel bolt socket bar, the extending type, provided with both my more recent caravans.

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
we have a new Bailey Unicorn and that came with the adaptor.I have had a wheel come off my caravan as I was towing and it does a lot of damage,so every time I check my wheel bolts with a torque wrench.A friend of mine had a wheel come off this Easter on his new Clubman and had to be recovered from a country lane in the Lake District causing lots of distress and traffic problems.Apparently its a common problem.

Volvo xc 60 r_design Bailey Seville.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
traficman said:
we have a new Bailey Unicorn and that came with the adaptor.I have had a wheel come off my caravan as I was towing and it does a lot of damage,so every time I check my wheel bolts with a torque wrench.A friend of mine had a wheel come off this Easter on his new Clubman and had to be recovered from a country lane in the Lake District causing lots of distress and traffic problems.Apparently its a common problem.

Hello Trafficman,
I'm sorry to read of your bad experience, but I have to disagree with your implication that wheels coming off is 'common' If it were common then it implies that most caravanners will have experienced it. The fact is most haven't, so its not common. Its not supposed to happen but it is an issue that occurs from time to time, which is why most manufacturers recommend you check the wheel nut's about 50 miles after they have been refitted for any reason. Its good practice to check the nuts and tyre pressures before each journey.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
traficman said:

Hello Trafficman,
I'm sorry to read of your bad experience, but I have to disagree with your implication that wheels coming off is 'common' If it were common then it implies that most caravanners will have experienced it. The fact is most haven't, so its not common. Its not supposed to happen but it is an issue that occurs from time to time, which is why most manufacturers recommend you check the wheel nut's about 50 miles after they have been refitted for any reason. Its good practice to check the nuts and tyre pressures before each journey.

I agree with the Prof - I've been caravanning for a good few years and have never had a wheel come off and have never known of anyone who has. I do some very long tows (1000 miles in 2 days) and never have a problem. I always check the wheel nuts before each journey but they have never needed tightening.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
This is topic that has come up regularly over the years. Not mentioned in this thread so far is that fact that it is a good idea to ensure you have the wheels balanced, for several reasons, one of which is that excessive wheel vibration might be a contributory factor in wheel bolts loosening. You don't often hear of wheels coming off cars, where it is standard practice to have the wheels balanced.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts