Bailey humming noise?

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know what the humming noise is that lasts for about 2 seconds when you switch the 12v power on? My series 7 Pageant did it & my Series 5 Senator also does it? Often wondered what it is?

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Well neither my vans had alde heating so its not that. They both had different stereo's so its not that. Its not the battery charger because mine is now disconnected awaiting replacement. It only lasts a couple of seconds which is not long enough to track it down. Its not a fault so i'm not bothered, i was just curious.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My suspicion would be the water pump re-establishing the pressure in the water system, either as a result of the how water tank cooling a little, or the whole pipe work generally relaxing a little and needing to be stretched a little when the power is restored.

Just a quick simple test would be: after entering the caravan and turning the power on:- you get the noise. wait 30 seconds or so then turn the power off again, and wait about 30 seconds, and then turn the power on again. My suspicion is that if it is the pump then the second time you turn the power on you should NOT get the noise.

If you do get the noise then sorry, it's either a leaky valve somewhere (Could be the non return valve in the water supply), or its not the pump.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Its not the pump. That makes a distinct ticking noise. And also the pump is switched off on the control panel. It happens when the main 12v switch is turned on but before any other 12v switches for pump, lights, etc are turned on.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I've had two Baileys, a 2004 Senator and now this 2011 Unicorn.

I don't recall the 2004 making a humming noise, but then you say both yours have and do.

So maybe your hearing is more acute? My final guess just for fun, is a noisy habitation relay, but they are tiny so its a wild card.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It could still be the radio even of different makes. Many CD/radio units cycle the CD mechanism when powered up from cold to ensure the lens unit is in the right place.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts