Bailey Mattress recall

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello all.
It was brought to my attention yesterday that the makers of Baileys mattresses used in units made after October 2011 could have mattresses in that where filled with the wrong material causing them to absorb water like a sponge in the cold weather.
I have contacted my supplier White Arches who have moved very swiftly to sort my mattress out.
You need to contact your supplying dealer with when you purchased your van and the vin number. They can can ghen contact Baileys supplier to dort a replacement.
Hope this helps a few of you out.
Kindest regards
Neil

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They have responded very well to the problem, which reflects well on both Bailey and White Arches. Wonder if any other marques were affected?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm sorry to put a negative spin on this. Dont get too rosey eyed about the dealers quick response, Yes its right they should have a fast response to a manufactures recall, But what ever happed to custome care? The dealers should be trying to contact their customes, not the other way round.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Agreed but as we know the caravan industry dont do recalls. My Series 5 had to have anti condensation boards retrofitted even though the caravan press picked up their omission as a probem in the making. But I had to contact my dealer after an outing where it was quite obvious that they were essential. Also I had a cooker vent retrofitted along with an internal divider to stop excess oven/grill heat affecting the fridge. Again it was only via websites and by contacting teh dealer that I became aware that others too were having problems.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
........but as we know the caravan industry dont do recalls.............

Sorry Clive, but I absolutely disagree with that statement. It is a matter of historical fact that back in the 1980's a manufacturer of gas valves that were supplied to both Carver/Truma heaters and and Electrolux fridges. An unauthorised change was made to the material of the actuator pin inside the valves which could prevent the valve from turning off if the flame went out.An Industry wide recall was launched. I know this was the case as I was involved in changing about three thousand valves in the UK. We activley had to try and contact as many caravan owners of affected caravans through dealerships. My recolections were that in general dealers were not very proactive,Their record keeping was poor and they didn't seem overly prepared to help track down afected customers, until it was pointed out that if customer did have a problem that resulted in an incident, then they would be liable under law as the seller. As a result of our efforts I belive we got to over 95% of the affected products.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Prof,
Noted, but one swallow doesnt make a summer! Perahps the nearest recent example that you might have quoted was wheels coming off some Baileys, so perhaps where safety is concerned the industry do make more effort. But as a general statement I stand by my comment that (in general) the caravan industry dont involve themselves with recalls of faulty products.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Prof John L said:
otherclive said:
........but as we know the caravan industry dont do recalls.............

Sorry Clive, but I absolutely disagree with that statement. It is a matter of historical fact that back in the 1980's a manufacturer of gas valves that were supplied to both Carver/Truma heaters and and Electrolux fridges. An unauthorised change was made to the material of the actuator pin inside the valves which could prevent the valve from turning off if the flame went out.An Industry wide recall was launched. I know this was the case as I was involved in changing about three thousand valves in the UK. We activley had to try and contact as many caravan owners of affected caravans through dealerships. My recolections were that in general dealers were not very proactive,Their record keeping was poor and they didn't seem overly prepared to help track down afected customers, until it was pointed out that if customer did have a problem that resulted in an incident, then they would be liable under law as the seller. As a result of our efforts I belive we got to over 95% of the affected products.

I doubt if it was the caravan industry that did the recall. More than likely the manufacturer of the faulty valves. Can you point to a more recent recall within the last 10 years and not nearly 20 years ago?

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Contacted my dealer (Reading Caravans) last week. Today, I received a phone call saying that a new matress was on the way to me. Wonderful service!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts