Bailey Pageant Burgundy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone help please I have a Bailey Pagent Burgundy series 5 which I tow with a VW sharan 1.9TDi I used to tow a bailey pageant Loire no trouble at all.

My problem is actually putting me off using my van, I always get the nose weight right at 80Kgs but it still tows like a shed made of Jelly even cars passing me on the motorway makes it swing

The van is brand new, but I have cleaned the pads in the Alko stabiliser with white spirit just in case no differnce! The van came with a new tow ball which I havent fitted, could this be a different size to my old Alko tow ball? do you think I should fit it? I would take the van back but my dealers are useless

Any ideas gratefully received

Thanks

Dave

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
Dave,

I wonder if the pads in your stabiliser might actually need replacing, I am not sure that you could clean them. What I am wondering is that I often see new vans on their delivery run and one is often being towed on the road by the delivery truck-was his towball completely clean or did he previously use it to tow a van with a cheaper hitch, ie one with grease in it. The tow balls should have started off the same size but there might just be some wear in the old one and it would only take a few minutes to change with the right tools.

Hope you can get it sorted.

John.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave,

I wonder if the pads in your stabiliser might actually need replacing, I am not sure that you could clean them. What I am wondering is that I often see new vans on their delivery run and one is often being towed on the road by the delivery truck-was his towball completely clean or did he previously use it to tow a van with a cheaper hitch, ie one with grease in it. The tow balls should have started off the same size but there might just be some wear in the old one and it would only take a few minutes to change with the right tools.

Hope you can get it sorted.

John.
Thanks John Thats the reason I cleaned it with white spirit I have checked it and its spotless will try changing the tow ball

Thanks Again

Dave

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
Dave,

You say that the van swings, not sways as in the van snakeing from side to side ? I tow a series 5 Ranger 550/6 and I notice that the van does have some movement at the back when lorries etc pass. Although I do not class this as a snake I just put it down to wind buffeting the sides of the van. These new Baileys are rather high on the rear, my old Ranger 470/4 did not seem to move as much. Try putting some weight over the axle of the van but dont go over the 85% rule. I also think that there is nothing wrong with the Alko hitch or the towball, try cleaning the ball with some fine emery paper and clean the ball and the coupling head with some brake and clutch cleaning spray. White spirit can be slightly greasy. One final point are your cars shocks and springs tired, if your new van is heavier than your old one this might be highlighting your problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave,

You say that the van swings, not sways as in the van snakeing from side to side ? I tow a series 5 Ranger 550/6 and I notice that the van does have some movement at the back when lorries etc pass. Although I do not class this as a snake I just put it down to wind buffeting the sides of the van. These new Baileys are rather high on the rear, my old Ranger 470/4 did not seem to move as much. Try putting some weight over the axle of the van but dont go over the 85% rule. I also think that there is nothing wrong with the Alko hitch or the towball, try cleaning the ball with some fine emery paper and clean the ball and the coupling head with some brake and clutch cleaning spray. White spirit can be slightly greasy. One final point are your cars shocks and springs tired, if your new van is heavier than your old one this might be highlighting your problem.
Danny first of all thanks for your comments and yes it is a snake that starts and yes my old van used to do the same when I was passed by a wagon (nuisance things) but this feels the same even when a small car passes I will try cleaning the hitch as you suggest

Thanks again

Dave

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
Danny first of all thanks for your comments and yes it is a snake that starts and yes my old van used to do the same when I was passed by a wagon (nuisance things) but this feels the same even when a small car passes I will try cleaning the hitch as you suggest

Thanks again

Dave
Dave,

Basically then I dont know what else to say if you had the same problem with your old van ! I've never had a small car upset my caravan like you, only bloody big lorries. One last thing when your van is hitched to the car how low is the back of the car in relation to the ground? If all else fails give Bailey a ring and ask for the technical dept, I've rang them before and found them really helpfull. 0117 9665967

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts