Bailey Pegasus (2017) locking wheel nuts

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone, we're gearing up for our first trip away after a busy winter and then Spring house move - it's fair to say that thinking about the caravan (other than getting it in for its annual service the week we moved house to get it 'out of the way') has been a low priority.

We've now decided to use two wheel locks (it's a twin axle) - whereas before we didn't use any before as it was behind security bollards on the drive.

We've fitted the al-ko easily. The second lock is a Nemesis. To fit it we need to remove one of the wheel nuts. We've realised that we don't have the correct tools to do this, so I have no idea what we'd do if we had a flat tyre, which is a major worry! I've left a message with our local dealer asking what we need, but they've not come back to me. Should we have received the correct locking nut / spanner tool (sorry, I'm a non-technical girl) when we bought the caravan new? Or is it an extra? Any help would be appreciated. The wheel nuts are definitely not a standard 'car' type of nut.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
The adapter for the wheel nuts should have been in the Bailey wallet that contains the handbook, service guide etc. There should also be a tool for aligning the 13 pin plug (if necessary). As you bought the caravan new, it should have come complete.

As a matter of interest, why do you have to remove the wheel to fit the second AL-KO lock? Just use a jack to lift the 'van and rotate the wheel.

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Paul, as I suspected. There isn't a wheel nut adapter :(
We don't need to remove the wheel, maybe my non-technical explanation wasn't clear. We need to remove a wheel nut to fit the second lock, which is a Nemesis not an Alko. We only need one Alko lock for the insurance and the Nemesis was (in theory) easier to fit and cheaper to buy (from memory)

May 11, 2017
Visit site
It doesn't, which is why we bought it as the secondary lock. But you have to remove a wheel nut to fit the Nemesis system, which we can't do as there isn't an adapter in our kit :(

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
PaulT said:
The adapter for the wheel nuts should have been in the Bailey wallet that contains the handbook, service guide etc. There should also be a tool for aligning the 13 pin plug (if necessary). As you bought the caravan new, it should have come complete.

As a matter of interest, why do you have to remove the wheel to fit the second AL-KO lock? Just use a jack to lift the 'van and rotate the wheel.
Funnily enough, we were on a campsite last year when another Bailey Unicorn pitched up behind us. After a while the owner popped over for a chat, saying that they had just collected the 'van and that it was their first trip away in it. He asked If I knew what sized socket he needed for the wheel nuts, as none of his appeared to fit. I told him that it required a special adapter, which we had received with the caravan. I let him try mine to confirm that it was what he required. It appears that the Dealer, somewhere in the South East, I think, had not supplied him with one.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Have you checked the AlKo bag where the jack is contained, it might be in there.

Do you have to register The Nemisis clamps in the same way as the AlKo, ones. ?

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
It appears to be the same device for every Bailey, the guys gave our wheels a final torque check before we left, and didn't use our wheel nut device... They had a "special" -19mm Socket, parcel taped to the Bailey thing...

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, I'll check on registering the Nemisis lock, hadn't thought of that. Bailey locking nut is nowhere to be found - neither of us has ever seen it. We'd never realised before that it was different as is has little triangle covers on all the nuts (like HGVs) which show if they've loosened. It's scary to think that if we'd had a puncture we wouldn't have been able to change the wheel.
Anyway, problem solved, for £12 (inc VAT and delivery) our local dealer is posting a new one to us.
Looking forward to getting back out in the caravan once we're settled in our new home. Just have too much going on at the moment!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts