Bailey pegasus or unicorn time for a change

May 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys looking into changing my swift challenger 625 2009 for a bailey pegasus bolonga or unicorn valencia or barcalona have always had swift group models but feel the curent models lack space love the out side but not the inside feels very crampt small front lounge but the bailey feels to have more room and that touch more class than previous models i have looked at any opinions from people with these vans would be great good or bad

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi,
You will probably get a mixed bag of responses. Well that's what happened in the past with this sort of request for opinions on models of caravans. People who like Bailey for example will come out in support, and no doubt there will be a few who will condemn them for whatever reason.
My own opinion opinion/experience of Bailey caravans - I am now on my fourth Bailey, (Pageant Champagne, Senator Indiana, Senator, Wyoming and now Unicorn Barcelona) I have never had any major problems or concerns with any of them. Yes I did have some problems but these were dealt with swiftly and without fuss by the supplying dealership. In my opinion that is the main factor with any make of caravan you buy, get it from a good dealership that will not mess you around.
Both my wife and I are very pleased with the Barcelona, we feel it is the most comfortable, best equipped ,furnished van we have had. The only problems we have encountered so far is with some of the pleated window blinds going into pin holes at the creases and one roof blind also having tiny pin holes. This is being dealt with by dealership, just waiting on new blinds being delivered.

If you have any specific questions on the Barcelona please ask.
Robert

May 10, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for comments rob not looking to start a debate just think bailey make a mutch better 4 berth than swift were down sizing from a 6 berth to 4 berth and feel swift have lost there way a bit as you say haveing a good dealer is the key weve used ours for around eight years now and bought all our vans from them and always get an excellent service even when the problems occur what do you tow your barcelona with.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
leanne33 said:
haveing a good dealer is the key weve used ours for around eight years now and bought all our vans from them and always get an excellent service even when the problems occur what do you tow your barcelona with.

It's when you encounter problems that you know when you've got a good dealer or not. I tow with a Freelander 2, not had any problems with that either (touching wood feverishly as he says that)
The Barcelona and the Valencia are very similar in lay out, we just felt that the Barcelona gave the impression of much more living space. We ordered it last year just a few weeks before Swift launched their new range, I did wonder if I had jumped the gun too quickly and should have waited till I saw the new Swifts before ordering but when I did go and see them I didn't like the interiors at all. Thought they were too plastic and didn't like the moulded plastic interior fronts, also wondered what the panoramic sunroofs would be like in hot, sunny weather (if we ever get any). Imagine it could be like living in a greenhouse. So Swifts are not for me but it's all down to personal choice, we all have different tastes.
Good luck with whatever you choose, again, any specific questions re the Barcelone please ask.
Robert

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
We have the valencia. Had same problem as Robert with blinds and one roof blind, over kitchen area, they were all changed under warranty. Other than that and the well published issue with the wheel bolts, not that we have had any trouble with loose bolts, we are very happy with our van. It's going in for it's first year service in a couple of weeks so hopefully no problems will be found. We find it very comfortable and spacious. The only thing I could say is the wardrobe isn't the best design, it tapers so is a bit tight at one end but to be honest we don't find it too big a deal. It also tows very stable behind our Kia Sorento.

We are on our third Bailey and never had any major issues with any of them. Obviously everyone will have their own opinions on different makes of caravan but as I said we're happy with ours.

Regards Mike

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Leanne
I'm on my 3rd Bailey, currently the Wyoming which still ticks all our boxes.
The Unicorn Barcelona is our next natural choice but we're still saving.Who else is giving you a 10 year water ingress guarantee??
smiley-undecided.gif

When we bought the Wyoming it was a toss up between that and the Swift Conqueror. The Swift lost because the front seats were quite a bit shorter. That is stil true today with the current models.
My best advice is make sure you buy from a really well known reputable dealer. Where in the country are you?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
We bought our first Bailey, a Senator, two years ago. We've had the front window problem, three windows but now sorted, but apart from that, nothing to worry about. The window problem wasn't specific to just Bailey caravans though. We bought a new Abbey before that and had numerous problems from the first day we took it out, cooker not working and the shower tap piddling out water, to screws appearing on the floor after travelling. Some screws I never did find out where they had come from.
We love the Bailey, even called our pup Bailey, so if we ever buy a new van again it will be another Bailey. Like DD I need to save up but there's not much chance of that now we are both retired.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Just ordered a Unicorn Madrid looked the Swift same has others thought the inside to plasticy plus that sunroof not sure of it, same goes for the Coachman really fancied the new VIP but don't like the idea of removing the toilet cassette in the awning plus that massive sunroof like swifts at the front. So it was a straight fight between the Clubman and the Bailey in the end a came down to that Ten year warranty, l know theirs the servicing costs but so their is with the other manufacturers. The other thing that swung it was the front lounge beds that you can pull out sideways and make to great singles, not the slats that you have to pull out from under the front cabinet, sick to death of sliding on my back freeing them that came off the runners in the Lunar. Up to now l have had 2 new vans both had niggley faults and l suppose their will be some with this down the line, just hope they are put right like the others were efficiently.
NigelH

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
We bought our first Bailey, a Senator, two years ago. We've had the front window problem, three windows but now sorted, but apart from that, nothing to worry about. The window problem wasn't specific to just Bailey caravans though. We bought a new Abbey before that and had numerous problems from the first day we took it out, cooker not working and the shower tap piddling out water, to screws appearing on the floor after travelling. Some screws I never did find out where they had come from.
We love the Bailey, even called our pup Bailey, so if we ever buy a new van again it will be another Bailey. Like DD I need to save up but there's not much chance of that now we are both retired.
I have come across 2 boys of Bailey owning parents, called you guessed it - Bailey!
If 20K fell out of the sky I would buy a Bailey.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Leanne we are in the process of swapping our 2010 Clubman SE for a Unicorn Madrid, wife couldn’t get on with the small lounge “expensive learning curve”. Everything about the Madrid we liked, paid the deposit, van should be delivered 2cnd week of October fingers crossed. Since we ordered the van 2 weeks ago l have been online at Baileys web site checking out the specification, one major disappointment was that it didn't have external Sat/TV point in the battery box like all top of the range models from other Manufacturers. This at first wasn't problem as l could have it retro fitted by the dealer, what a shock we got, the usual price for this is £75 which l thought was a fair price, l showed the service guy where l wanted it fitting and which TV point to change the easiest as he put it the one at the front. When l went back to the service manager he then told me it wouldn't be £75 as stated but £120. l couldn’t believe the increase in price its really taken the shine off swapping the van, on top of losing a fair bit on the swap l now find the dealer what’s more of my hard earned cash to retro fit a external Sat/TV point, could do it myself but was told it would invoke warranty, only option is to wait until next year when the battery box is out of warranty and do it my self, until then we will have to do what all Unicorn owners do have cable through an open window.
Bailey you have made a cracking model with the Unicorn but for one small omittance, your van now stands out on site for the wrong reason TV cables hanging out of open windows on sites that have bad reception or for those with Satellites, think you have to agree with me that you need to sort this for next years model surely.
NigelH

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
l have now sorted out with my dealer over the price of the external Sat point, talked to the Sales Excec l always deal with and have come to an acceptable outcome, also got a good deal on Gardx paint seal so all in all well happy with the swap deal from my Lunar Clubman SE to the Bailey Unicorn Madrid. l am still a little dissapointed with Bailey that they have not included an external Sat or TV point in the spec of the Unicorn Models, maybe if they monitor this forum they will include it in 2013 models, l know some out their will say why do you need the dreaded box but my wife cannot go without her fix of the Antique road shows, Flog it or Dicksons real deals, l myself usual fall asleep ten minutes into the programms along with the dogs.
NigelH

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
leanne33 said:
Hi guys looking into changing my swift challenger 625 2009 for a bailey pegasus bolonga or unicorn valencia or barcalona have always had swift group models but feel the curent models lack space love the out side but not the inside feels very crampt small front lounge but the bailey feels to have more room and that touch more class than previous models i have looked at any opinions from people with these vans would be great good or bad
Just as many problems with my Valencia as i had with a challenger.
But the Valencia comes with ALDE heating, a Superior heating system to blown air.
Along with a modern build, so no more cracked front panels.
Only down side i can see, is the challenger looks prettier with the optional front sky light, not that i would have the option, isn't there enough sky lights as it is?
Thats another negative the Valencia has a sky light over the bed, so you get rain torture at night, if its raining.
Some people say the ALKOtec build means the caravan is better sound proofed, it isn't, just the same as my previous Vermont, it is a warmer van though.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi Leanne - I am a Bailey Fan and wish I hadn't parted with the Ranger for the current Abbey. I kind of fell for the Bailey Orion at the weekend show put on by the Dealership. I had so little trouble with the Ranger - and so many silly little things with the Abbey. Scarily the latest was a gas leak - and the brass nut was found to be split that connects it to the regulator! I then bought a new one and still had a smell of gas - so went back again yesterday - the fitter said he had fitted one new hose that was ALSO faulty. Pretty frightening really - two hoses within two weeks faulty? And then the slightly older one! Anyway I am pretty sure it will be back to Bailey when I do change. Wouldn't swap from Couplands in Louth they are absolutely FIRST CLASS at looking after their customers. Good luck with your model. I am sure you will love it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts