Bailey Retreat: Exclusive video preview

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Dear all

We've just put a video preview of Bailey's Retreat on the PC website. Hope you like it!

Practical Caravan's news, features, bits and bobs

brightcove.createExperiences();

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Interesting but....... we still don't get it. Yes a tourer is what we need as it meets our holiday wishes, Feb Hampshire, April, Devon, July/Aug Cornwall, Devon, Hampshire and Derbyshire. October Devon and then all the different home locations. Yes the extra space is good if you want to be in one place all the time but if that's the case you would have much more space with a static. Who knows maybe it'll work but even if you use a seasonal pitch with a tourer it's easy enough to go elsewhere at the drop of a hat, with this it's not that straight forward.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
When the Eterniti takes off with the slide out giving more room at the touch of a button that may be the way go........
How long before another manufacturer brings a van out with one on .......

Nigel.
Will PC be getting a Eterniti van for long term testing rather than just a review ?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I can see the merit in the Bailey Retreat, having been on a seasonal pitch for six years when health issues prevented us from touring much.
We had the occasional foray away from our seasonal pitch with our tourer and thankfully we are back to touring completely now, but the majority who shared the site never turned a wheel from one year to the next.
The Retreat would suit the majority of seasonals who often buy German built caravans with lots of room but poor specifications historically in terms of domestic appliances and equipment which provide the home from home comfort preferred by UK buyers.
(puts tin hat on and takes cover
smiley-yell.gif
)
A seasonal pitch for a 'tourer' offers a less expensive no strings alternative to a static caravan, with the various terms and conditions attached to statics which can eat up the cash in sky high rents and make selling a static an unequitable loss making nightmare.
The only problem with the Retreat is, what about the awning?!?

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Who thinks the table looks like an ironing board?????
smiley-undecided.gif
I also think the kitchen/dining area looks very cramped - especially when the presenter is sitting in the access way to the bathroom and toilet - but each to his own!!! I suppose Bailey are testing the waters here, and it will be interesting to see how sales go!
I can see an opening, though, for a business, towing Bailey Retreats on and off seasonal pitches!

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
My take.
The price is good, but how do you get it to your chosen pitch?
I'm thinking a static pitch, say super type for one year, then move on to another, assuming this can be done.
Basic caravan looks good, but those ugly bolt coverings need looking at, even in a video those joints look ugly.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
It's not perfect. The version seen in the video had very poor storage, although we didn't dwell on it as it is set to be improved on the production vans - we saw a prototype. The lounge and kitchen are the standout areas.

Where it will score well is resale value. A lot of the larger German vans are difficult to sell on but something with a Bailey badge on it and a network of 75 dealers will always be an easier sell on than an import bought in through a handful of dealers. If you go with a Retreat for two or three years, I'd say trading on and back into a tourer won't be too difficult.

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I am sure bailey will make a good job of it on the production model but when you look at the type of caravans produced with slide outs in Canada and the States then maybe thats the best of both worlds ( static size but easy touring ) however well done to bailey for having the nerve to look forward and heve a punt at something different
smiley-laughing.gif

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We had a look around the Retreat today at our local Dealership, Dickinsons of Bradford - and I'm still unimpressed with the 'ironing-board' breakfast table. It narrows the kitchen, has a 'perched' high-level seat, and is only really wide enough for a plate and the salt and pepper pots! The bedroom area is nice, as is the sitting area, as is the rest of the kitchen but for the same price a 'normal' static caravan will offer a lot more space and proper toilet and showers.
We did like some of the other 2012 models though, from Swift, Sterling and Bailey - very nice - and it's the first time we've been tempted by the interior finishes on offer! However, one Bailey we looked at had a lovely big bathroom, but the square mixer tap was in a fixed position in the narrow part of the oblong basin and didn't swivel at all. So for the moment we'll still stick to our trusty 12 year old van, thanks, unless someone wants to loan me a 'test van' for a few months! Any offers Nigel????????????????????

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We looked in one on Friday and would not swap it for our Elddis Crusader. Quality not a patch on the Elddis. Not impressed by any of the Bailey Vans. Had a look in the Coachman but interior is a but austere. But very well made. As for the caravan with slide out's the weight is out of the question for any UK Towcar. You are better off with a 5th Wheel and US Tow Truck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts