Bailey Senator Califirnia

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Considering buying a California anyone got one and if so what are your thoughts re ownership good or bad .Yout comments would be appreciated

Cheers John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

Had one since June of last year and had Bailey vans previous to this one. I have not had any problems what so ever and it tow's like a dream with the ATC and Alko hitch system.

The on board water tank levers can be a bit confusing, but that is down to me not reading the instructions correctly. The layout is great, but I am bias as we had a pageant S6 Burgendy previously to this model which also had the near side bed, but not the transverse rear washroom/shower and nowadays not only getting up from a exceptionally comfortable bed, but just walking into a hot shower with out having to wait for a available shower in the block is fantastic.

If there is just two of you you could not make a bettrr choice.Theres ton's of storage, the spec is very high, it,s very comfortable, the fridge is more than sufficent and the inside is very light in colour. Some people say the build quality is not that good? Well I disagree and I have also had Elddis and Stirling in the past and they were no better.

We have been touring for 30 years now and this has been our best van to date as far as layout and spec go's its hard to beat and nothing has fallen off!

The only gripe is there is no where to put a brew on the offside of the bed in the morning apart from below the offside bedroom window sill and the soap holder in the shower cubicle has no drain hole so holds water after a shower. Small prices to pay. Also the light in the front gas bottle comparment is as useful as a chocalate fire guard, so I've disconnected the light and use the feed as a super cooler feed to fans behind the fridge vents for use in summer in France or if we are lucky over here.

I think you will have to go a long way to match this van. If you need any more info, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Von Ryan

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

We moved from the S5 Pageant Vendee to the S6 Wyoming which is the TA version of the California.

Build quality has proven to be excellent so far.

Yes , there are a number of reported cracked front / rear panels but in relation to the total number produced such failure I am told is rare. The six year warranty covers this anyway.

Both the bathroom and kitchen worksurfaces needed replacement because the edging strips came away.

The tv supplied with mine two years ago is rubbish. I understand newer ones have been improved.

The longitudinal plastic seat supports failed. Of my own choosing dealer gave me new ones which I fitted having carried our a modification. All they needed was a piece of 2x1 inserted into the gap to strengthen the plastic. Why wasn't that done originally ?

Everything else has been bullet proof. She has had alot of use and everything still works as it should.

The aluminium window frames look pretty but in winter touring they attract condensation too much.

The dometic fridge shelves are not imo well designed . We have removed one to make more use of the available space.

Onboard water tank is a boon.

Running gear has been problem free.

I agree with Von Ryan an offside shelf for my teamug would have been good. However I can reach the shelf under the window easily.

Cheers

Dustydog

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Thanks to you both for your very informative messages they have been a great help to actually get feed back from owners of the caravan.

I have been impressed with the van and its specification and after reading your comments have gone on and purcased a new 2009 California

Once again thanks Happy caravanning

Cheers John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I must be one of the unlucky ones to have had the front panel replaced at year 3, and now the rear panel at year 5! Still no quibbles under the 6 year warranty, but can I afford to keep it when the warranty expires?

Cheers

other Clive

Mar 2, 2009
Visit site
I must be one of the unlucky ones to have had the front panel replaced at year 3, and now the rear panel at year 5! Still no quibbles under the 6 year warranty, but can I afford to keep it when the warranty expires?

Cheers

other Clive
Hi John.

We have had our California since last April and up to now have had very little trouble with it, just a problem with the extractor fan but that is being fixed on its 1st service.

Regards John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts