Bailey Senator Vermont 2000

May 22, 2022
Visit site
We're looking at this van tomorrow , the current owner has replaced all the floor with laminate , the floor in the bathroom is a bit bouncy
should we be worried ? any advice at all please. we are looking at this van for a staff member to stay in while they work here with us. saving commute time for him
as it's split shifts. we've never had a van before and we don't have loads of money

Jan 19, 2022
Visit site
I have the same model from 2001. It is an excellent caravan and top of the range for a 2-berth from Bailey at the time.

I'd be very suspicious if the original floor covering has been topped with laminate, especially if the bathroom floor is 'spongy'. It's probably because it has been kept on grass or a damp surface for most of its life, particularly if the rest of the van is tidy and in good condition. In good condition, they can fetch up to £3,500, but I would pay no more than £1000, to allow for possible repairs, which will be costly.

If it's only being sited to use as accommodation, you may get away with with doing your own bodge repair, but definitely don't tour it.

Have a good look underneath and check for damage to the flooring. Also, if the water piping in side the van is damaged, there could be a leak, which has caused or contributed to the problem.

Best advice from - walk away, or at least have someone look at it who knows something about caravans.

May 22, 2022
Visit site
thank you , that's a great help. I think we've decided not to proceed , it's a shame as the caravan ,like you say is in really good condition

Jan 19, 2022
Visit site
We're looking at this van tomorrow , the current owner has replaced all the floor with laminate , the floor in the bathroom is a bit bouncy
should we be worried ? any advice at all please. we are looking at this van for a staff member to stay in while they work here with us. saving commute time for him
as it's split shifts. we've never had a van before and we don't have loads of money
thank you , that's a great help. I think we've decided not to proceed , it's a shame as the caravan ,like you say is in really good condition
As a matter of interest, how much were they asking?

Jan 19, 2022
Visit site
they're asking £2500
Thanks. Yes, far too much if the floor is shot. A caravan of this age is very likely to have a few problems that either exist, or will do very soon. Soon after I got mine, the 12V lighting would not work. I tried everything and eventually found that the battery charger had stopped working properly - not surprising after 21 years. It's not just a trickle charger, it also provides the 12V power to certain facilities in the van. It's under the left-hand seat by the front window, if you ever need to go there. The 3-way switch on the fridge would not work on the gas setting, so that had to be replaced.

I paid 2K for mine, as the seller was unable to demonstrate all the facilities and knew practically nothing about it. It was a bit bit scruffy on the exterior, but dry and clean inside. It does have a mover on it, which is one of my main priorities. I suppose that I have paid another £500 in all to sort it, but I'm OK with that.

May 22, 2022
Visit site
yeah , think we've made the right choice , they weren't going to budge much on the price. we prefer to get something that hopefully isn't going to cost a fortune to put right
think we're now looking at Vanroyce or Coachman vans

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Sounds wise, the description sounds dodgy and I would only look at that with an expert to advise on the floor.
The usual problem with older models is damp in the frame so this has to be checked but a spring floor is always something to be wary off.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts