Bailey Unicorn Porch Awning

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As Senator owners we awaited the Unicorn with interest and the Barcelona looks to us like an updated Wyoming, so far so good, but wait, the door opens towards the front of the van, with no room for our porch, unless we cross a window. We also use 3/4 awning at other times again it looks like it won't work because there is not room between the window edge and the door stay. Why have they made the door open towards the front,our Senator opens towards the back and has not ben a problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray

In the picture in PC the door hinges are on the left, so the door opens out towards the front of the caravan leaving no room for the awning between the edge of the front side window and the catch to hold the door open.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Woodsieboy's comment about the way the door opens (towards the front of the van) does seem to exclude the use of a porch awning. Going by the photo in Practical Caravan there are two vents on the exterior nearside wall of the model shown (Wyoming equivalent), I 'm guessing this might be the reason for the door opening being different from the current Wyoming. Just wondering if the other two models not pictured have the same style of door opening.

Doesn't seem to be the cleverest idea,a lot of people, including myself, use porch awnings

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
The door opens the same way on our Pegasus. While it is tight, there is space for the edge of our porch awning (a Pyramid Corsican Ultra porch) just to fit between the door catch & the window. However the windows are very flush so it can half cover the window with no major issues.

As rhe 240v external socket is under the window, when we want to use the socket we have the awning overlap the window so the socket is not exposed to the elements.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Further to the comments ref fridge vents, our existing series 5 Senator has door opening to cover the vents , never been a problem, although the Unicorn looks as if there is more space between the door and the vents. Our porch awning and main awning both have the full size fibreglass or steel poles with thick padding that covers them where they meet the van wall, so will not work on the Unicorn without covering the middle of a window.Perhaps there is a reason why Bailey elected to hang the door on the left, but I can't think of one, on a personal note I don't think the 2 part door is an improvement over the single piece door on our Senator either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts