Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Thinking of changing our Senator Indiana 5 for a Unicorn Valencia. What are members experiences of the Valencia. Would like a fixed bed, end bathroom so has anyone got any other suggestions?

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
We changed from a series 6 Indiana to a Valencia and we're very happy with it. The alde heating is fantastic the bathroom is great compared to the Indiana the lounge is very comfortable and there's loads of storage. Can't find much wrong but the criticisms would be the wardrobe which tapers and is a bit of a squash, the tap in the bathroom doesn't swivel and there's no external satellite point. Can't think of anything else to complain about at the moment. Don't think you'll be disappointed.

Hope this helps, if you want to know anything else just ask.

Mike

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
We changed fro a 2004 Vermont to a Valencia.
One downside is the onboard tank, prefer the fixed 40 litre one we had, with flick of a switch changeover.
Interior seems slightly poorer quality.
Alarm is useless, prefer a wired alarm with key pad.
No proper sink, with built in drainer, along with useless swivel tap, also bathroom tap is fixed.
No external shower.
No extractor fan.
Upsides are Alde heating, fixed bed and storage for wheel under it.
Best lighting we have ever had, but no mains lights as back up.
Improved build on the shell.

Conclusion: Unless you need the Alde buy a Peg2.

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Please don't take this wrong Ray but I guess you 'need' the Alde heating otherwise you would have bought a Pegasus. Surely you looked at the Unicorn before hand so you would have seen all the faults you've listed which obviously didn't deter you from buying.

Mike

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
No i don't think i need the Alde, but i wanted the Alde, i don't caravan in the winter so ch isn't really needed.
But i was fed up with buying caravans with blown air ducting passed under the floor outside, caravan makers should be stopped from doing this, in this day and age of save the planet, we have ducting very poorly insulated losing heat energy to atmosphere.

The Valencia equivalent the Verona i think was a very nice caravan, equivalent to my 2004 Vermont, but as soon as i so the ducting under the floor i lost interest. The Vermont had 4meters of ducting outside, so cold bathroom, i actually never used the blow air fan, found it worked best using the fire as a convection heater, supported with a portable fan heater.

The other complaints are sometimes not really brought to light until you live with a caravan, actually using is a lot different to just viewing a caravan. Its like buying a house or car, when can we ever buy exactly what we want, unless extremely rich, the answer is never.

The Valencia is a very desirable caravan and i don't regret buying one, but as with anything else its not perfect, what annoys me the most is Bailey have been making caravans for a long time, but obviously experience isn't passed on, otherwise why do we constantly have steps backward?

You only have to look at the complaints from present owners to establish a pattern, hopefully Bailey will listen to there customers and respond accordingly.
http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/61100-unicorn-2/

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Your right, they're never perfect and if they were somebody would find fault. I suppose Bailey like other manufacturers improve some things and take away others to keep cost/weight down, after all it isn't a house it's a box on wheels with limited space. I think my biggest gripe is the wardrobe shape but it's not the end of the world. As I said before we're very happy with ours and even if money was no object I don't think we'll be changing it anytime soon.

Mike

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Ha the wardrobe doors, now on my forth lot, all previous ones have warped, including the ones now fitted.
In the end i fitted some catches from SFix, cost around £3 for 10, time taken a couple of hours, now both doors fit flush at the top and bottom.
Very poor idea of Baileys, never had any warping doors on the 2004 van, as i mentioned earlier, some step forward, some steps backwards.
Pathetic really for the top of the range?

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Not sure if this should be in the Technical forum but, as it's an addition to my OP, here goes.
Can someone explain how the water storage system works on the Unicorn? What is the wheeled water storage tank - is it like an Aquaroll or is it designed to be an on board tank? My Senator 5 has an onboard tank which was topped up, via an onboard pump, from the Aquaroll. Originally it was fitted with two lever valves which were under one of the seats and had to be altered to allow for filling, inside or outside tank. Mine was altered to a system of electronic valves which are controlled by a simple switch - I don't really want to go back to a manual system if I buy a Unicorn.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
We like the look of the Unicorn a lot but have heard lots of comments on the rear corner of awning rail causing difficulty in pulling the awning rail round even with the Isabella new profile fitted.Is it really a serious problem?

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi
I have just changed from a Bailey Pageant Champagne to a Pegasus 2 and we had our first night out last Saturday........Simply awesome. I could not want for more. The build quality to be fair is disappointing for nearly £19,000 but then again, we looked at loads of caravans and unless you are going to pay well in excess of £30,000 they are all much the same or far worse. The luxury coach built vans are stunning but I could not afford the £30+k to buy one or more importantly, the £40+k to buy the car to drag it around!! They look stunning, are built superbly but they weigh so much more than a Bailey. The Valencia comes in at MTPLM of 1565kg, which is easy enough to tow. My twin axle Bologna is only 1670kg. You do get a few more toys with the Unicorn, but the only real 'advantage' is the Alde central heating. I already have a TV and you can buy a heated towel rail for about 65 quid! I would also point out that we do use our caravan all year round but last Saturday, at 3 in the morning, I was running around the van gasping for air and flinging open windows and skylights. The new Alu-tech construction and insulation is light years ahead of anything we have seen before so I am not sure the ‘advantage of the Alde system is worth the extra hassle and money. Save the money, and buy a Pegasus 2, you will not be disappointed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts