baily ranger 500/5, modeo estate 2lt , R,reg

Jul 7, 2005
Visit site
hi all im new to caravanning & towing ,i'll come staight to the point 'is my car suitable for pulling tha baily ranger 500/5 .mondeo 2lt estate, im not convinced it seems to be all right on the flat but get a slight hill staight into 3rd .weve 2 kids , usall awning chairs light weight the usall really ,am i expecting to much from my car ,any advice welcome. thanks darren.

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

have a look at www.whattowcar.com - allows you to input your car and caravan and tells you how good a match it is, and how well your car should perform.

And best of all it's free!

kind regards

Mark (",)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Darren, I had a 2000 Mondeo estate fitted with 2l Zetec engine and towed a 1350 kg 5 berth. It towed like a dream and on the flat I could tow in 5th. It needed 4th on a bit of incline. When coming to a hill, and if the revs were right, a change to 3rd and it would power up.

If my experience is typical and you cannot tow on the level at 55mph in 5th gear I think something isn't right.

Incedentally when it was changed it it had done 80,000 miles, and the engine seemed to be getting better all the time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Darren, I had a 2000 Mondeo estate fitted with 2l Zetec engine and towed a 1350 kg 5 berth. It towed like a dream and on the flat I could tow in 5th. It needed 4th on a bit of incline. When coming to a hill, and if the revs were right, a change to 3rd and it would power up.

If my experience is typical and you cannot tow on the level at 55mph in 5th gear I think something isn't right.

Incedentally when it was changed it it had done 80,000 miles, and the engine seemed to be getting better all the time.
darren, read your post again and see you are happy with it on the flat. i think therefore that you having to change to 3rd on a hill is normal. The gearing of the estate is different to the saloon / hatchback and I found it great for towing with 3rd gear really good across the power range.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts