Baldock Services!

Aug 9, 2024
Visit site
I'm sure this has been chatted about before, but a word of warning, don't follow the caravan parking sign at Baldock Services. Very nearly ended in a motor mover situation over the weekend!

The first sign you see is directing 'cars and caravans' but you end up in the normal car park, in a double space with a very tight turn to get out. Luckily i spotted this early and just toured the car park to the exit, but it was still an uncomfortable experience.

Head for the lorry park if you have to stop there, or just avoid!

1000024303.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure this has been chatted about before, but a word of warning, don't follow the caravan parking sign at Baldock Services. Very nearly ended in a motor mover situation over the weekend!

The first sign you see is directing 'cars and caravans' but you end up in the normal car park, in a double space with a very tight turn to get out. Luckily i spotted this early and just toured the car park to the exit, but it was still an uncomfortable experience.

Head for the lorry park if you have to stop there, or just avoid!

View attachment 7522
They are not alone when it comes to laying out parking for caravans. It’s in the most extreme part of the car park. When you do get there it will invariably be full of WVM or cars too. Although being so far from the facilities the lazier ones might have looked for somewhere closer. We invariably used HGV parking in many occasions, but never used coach parking on account that they required to be reasonably close to facilities for their passengers to use or to transfer.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
They are not alone when it comes to laying out parking for caravans. It’s in the most extreme part of the car park. When you do get there it will invariably be full of WVM or cars too. Although being so far from the facilities the lazier ones might have looked for somewhere closer. We invariably used HGV parking in many occasions, but never used coach parking on account that they required to be reasonably close to facilities for their passengers to use or to transfer.
Some services areas will issue "parking charge notices" if you park in a coach space in anything other than a coach - they're protecting the revenue they get from coach passengers, which is more per head than other vehicles.

Aug 9, 2024
Visit site
Some services areas will issue "parking charge notices" if you park in a coach space in anything other than a coach - they're protecting the revenue they get from coach passengers, which is more per head than other vehicles.
I believe this is the case there. £100 if found to be parked in a coach space.

Maybe there's a gap in the market for a 'Good Services Guide', like the GPG but less beer and more overpriced soggy sandwiches...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I believe this is the case there. £100 if found to be parked in a coach space.

Maybe there's a gap in the market for a 'Good Services Guide', like the GPG but less beer and more overpriced soggy sandwiches...
There are websites that aim to rank services. Motorway Services Online, Transport Focus and even Which. Plus others too.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I think there are 4 dedicated spaces which as well as being difficult to approach and leave being in a far corner the spaces are also very short that even our small 2 berth stuck out behind the marked space. Architect for the layout needs educating as clearly no idea!

Reactions: klaus_von

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts