Ball hitch height

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can any one tell me please is there a guide to the height of the top of the ball hitch from the ground or is it a case of trial and error on setting the van up to run level.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm sure Lutz will be along with the exact measurements but its roughly sixteen and a half inches to the centre of the ball +or- an inch or so.There is not much you can do about it as the towbar is fixed and so is the drawbar.Manufacturers don't give heights of their towball that I've seen so its difficult to shop around for the right one for your car.Its possible to use a drop plate to lower the ball but it is said to be forbidden to use one for raising. It seems to me that there should be at least two sets of holes for height adjustment as more and more caravans seem to be running very nose down these days.I wonder if the move to 14inch wheels is responsible.Certainly I have suffered more damage going on and off ferries with the latest van with 14inch wheels.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Regulation 94/20EC states that the centre of the towball must be between 350 and 420mm above the ground when the towing vehicle is fully laden. So, to the top of the ball this translates to between 375 and 445mm.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John, as I understand it, for cars it is 350 - 430 mm from the ground to the centre of the the ball, with the car loaded to its maximum weight.

I believe it is different for 4x4 etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i just change to a 4x4 and find my ball hitch is 19.5 inches to top of tow ball with the swan neck hitch. for the alco sablizer, is this to high if the normal towball is on the car it about 18 inches to top of ball is this alright

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This subjet came up last month and I printed a reply from someone called Lutz. It said that Regualtion 94/20/EC states the centre of the towball must be between 350 and 420mm above the ground with the car fullt laden. Offroad vehicels are exempt, however.

Other replies said their actual heights were 500mm on a Disco and 520mm on a Shogun.

Hope this is of some help !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am not 100% sure John but i think all your enq may come down to nose weight, normally with a car it will be 75kg but a 4x4 will be in the region of 100kg, i know there is a hight the ball must be fitted to and if its to low to the floor then you can have a swan kneck tow ball fitted to bring the hight up a few more inch. I hope anwering to this more people will try to help because i think this is a problem with a lot of units, many a time i have seen a car with its bottom on the floor and the front end of the van only a few inches from the floor, good luck with your enq and i will look forward to reading other replies, should be interesting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts