Baltic wharf

Aug 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have booked a few nights at this site in June. Has anybody been recently? I would appreciate any comments,good or bad,also any must see sites in the area.

I will be travelling from the north M6,so information on best route would be appreciated.

Thanks

Fred

Jul 30, 2006
Visit site
Hi we went to Baltic Wharf last year and it was a lovely site, we only stayed for 2 nights so only really went into Bristol on the boat from outside the site.

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi Fred,

I go to that part of Bristol quite often and travelling from the North it is far easy to approach Baltic Warf from the A4 rather than the M32. The directions (according to Google)would be:

Head southwest on M5 toward Exit 18

At junction 18, exit toward A4/Avonmouth

Take the exit toward Shirehampton/Bristol/A4/Portway

At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto A4/Portway heading to Bristol

Continue to follow A4

Exit onto A4/Hotwell Rd

At the roundabout, take the 4th exit onto A4/Rownham Mead

Continue to follow A4

Continue on Merchants Rd

Slight left at Avon Crescent

Slight left at Cumberland Rd

Baltic Warf will be on the left 443 ft

Bristol BS1 6XG

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I lived in Britol for 30 years and I'd agree with Glensmate, don't even consider the m32. The route from m5 Avonmouth up to the site is very easy and takes in the Avon gorge going under the Clifton Suspension Bridge ( courtesy good old I.K.B .)

Site is great, so well hidden Bristol people don't even know it exists.

Good pub with decent food next door on the river.

Reduced fares for CC members on the water Taxi's into the city centre.

Easy walk to the SS Great Britain.

Bit further walking takes you to the City Centre and the revamped watershed and waterside areas as well as the catherdral, Collage green and Park St with good museum at the top. 15 Minutes from Bristol zoo by car.

Bit more walking takes you to Broddmead with the brand new upmarket Shopping mall thingy at the far end if shopping floats your boat.

Highly recommended for a city centre break.

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
Fred,

Thorpedo said it all.....

I wd only add that there is a super boat trip from the wharf just past the Gt Britain that takes you thro the lock and into the avon, then under the sus bridge and right down the river under the M5 and into the estuary at Avonmouth for a view of the M4 Severn Bridge - and back again. Great value. Also if you got bikes there is the cycle/walking route right down the bank of the Avon again passing under the CSB. going as far as you want even to Portishead.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I live in Bristol and ditto most comments.

One point to add - for anyone coming from M4E (London) I would advise using the M32 as the motorway from the M32 to Almondsbury interchange and the M5 down to Avonmouth can be really bad under heavy traffic conditions.

This would be most friday afternoon/early evenings and holiday time - listen out for local traffic warnings.

From the North and East Avonmouth still best route, from the south use the A370 from the Weston junction.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Crikey Jeremy Clarks son your a braver man than I.

The thought of switching lanes on Bond St, Temple way and around St Mary Redcliff in 3 lanes of busy traffic with 20 - 28 feet of caravan behind fills me with dread.

Mind you, if I arrived at cumberland rd in one piece I'd have a real sense of achievement. Bring on Trafalgar square and Picadilly :0) - perhaps not.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
There have been a lot of improvements in the area and I frequently use this route for rallies like the Balloon fiesta.

Straight down the M32 bearing right towards the centre when you get to the centre stay in the middle lane and follow WSM A370 signs past the SS GB keeping in the left lane around the end of the harbour and back around it and you can not miss the CC site.

Our outfit is 41ft long and this route is not a problem, I can not vouch for outfit size getting into the site as we have not stayed there - but do not remember it being restricted.

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
There have been a lot of improvements in the area and I frequently use this route for rallies like the Balloon fiesta.

Straight down the M32 bearing right towards the centre when you get to the centre stay in the middle lane and follow WSM A370 signs past the SS GB keeping in the left lane around the end of the harbour and back around it and you can not miss the CC site.

Our outfit is 41ft long and this route is not a problem, I can not vouch for outfit size getting into the site as we have not stayed there - but do not remember it being restricted.
We had no problems arrivng at this site via M5 Junct 18 - A4 our problem was with the getting out!

I studied the wardens diagram of the exit route which I thought was to bear left after leaving the site. This took you up a gradient where I was expecting to turn right towards the swing bridge however the right hand slip road was closed by kerb stones which forced us to join the south bound carriageway of what I think was the A370.

In trying to correct this I left the A370 expecting to be able to pass under and go back the other way only to find that we were in a busy shopping area with all that entails....

After a hair-raising 10 minutes we found our way back to the A370 and were able to rejoin to travel north.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts