Barriers for Dogs

Jul 19, 2005
Visit site
We have dogs which we like to create a safe haven for while away to prevent unwanted visits from well meaning children. We usually use normal windbreaks but one of our dogs has discovered that he can lean on the top and the material lowers down. I am thinking of buying more robust windbreaks with horizontal bars across the top but before I buy them I wondered if there were any other suggestions............thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Allison, all depends on the size and how many dogs you have. Have you thought of using the collapsable type crate that are used as carriers or is that too restictive. I use a Dogbag to transport my Golden Retriever in the back of my MPV with the back seats removed. It keeps her off the carpet and dosn't allow her too move about uncontrolled. This Dogbag can also be pegged down outside, it has four straps, one on each corner too allow this. Its light and collapses into a bag when not in use. To have a look at what I mean look here :- http://www.doghaus.co.uk/dogbag.htm

Mind, if your dogs can reach the top of a wind break, the biggest of these may not be big enough for more than one dog. You can get it cheaper than the price shown on the link if you do an Internet search. I think i got mine from somewhere in Surry for

May 10, 2005
Visit site
Alison,

What about putting some panels/fencing inside your awning so the dogs have the freedom to go in and out the caravan but can only access outside the awning supervised?

We have 5 dogs (!) (3 shelties & 2 chihuhahuas) and have used this method successfully on a number of occasions.

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Surely that last comment was a but unnecessary!

Hardly a worthwile response to the question asked, and it wasn't even funny.....

Mark

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
I know, I think it's a bit tight to make a comment like that to someone who is obviously a dog lover and who asked a genuine question looking for genuine answers.

Sad, really really sad....

M

May 23, 2005
Visit site
I think the more robust wind breaks sound like a good idea, are they taller than the normal ones?

I have a border Collie who discovered on her very first trip she could jump the wind breaks. I take a crate with me for her bed and to lock her in at night. She has to be completely supervised anywhere else. I tie her to the tow bar and open the boot of the car. I put up the wind breaks to cut off her site lines and to try and to deter people from trying to pet her I put up a witty sign as she is not a lover of strangers. Good luck I would be interested where you get these windbreaks from.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Being new to this forum I thought the intention was to be a friendly, constructive place where people could discuss matters and to help likewise caravanners. After seeing the Captains moronic remark I seem to be wrong. Yes Captain, I am a dog lover and own 3 little ones who obviously have better manners than your good self. p.s. I dont really mind you showing your ignorance Captain Kangaroo because you make me seem intelligent ;O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nice one Chris - an excellent summation of the frustrations of the majority. Please do not let the idiotic fringe put you off.

We have two dogs - both very well behaved - tho' one can be a bit off with other male dogs. We find windbreaks are fine but we also put a sign up (just an A4 sheet with a scanned photo of them) which warns that they are there behind the windbreak.

We also make sure that our dogs are happy to be on their leads. I was told this "trick" many years ago by my aunt - if you feed your dog whilst it is on the lead and regularly put it on the lead when walkng - even in an area where it would be safe for it to be off-lead, it associates the lead with good times. Then when on a pitch it is happy to be a bit more restricted.

Having seen how some owners let their dogs loose, I can sympathise with those that do not like dogs wanting them banned from the campsite.

May 23, 2005
Visit site
Nice one Chris - an excellent summation of the frustrations of the majority. Please do not let the idiotic fringe put you off.

We have two dogs - both very well behaved - tho' one can be a bit off with other male dogs. We find windbreaks are fine but we also put a sign up (just an A4 sheet with a scanned photo of them) which warns that they are there behind the windbreak.

We also make sure that our dogs are happy to be on their leads. I was told this "trick" many years ago by my aunt - if you feed your dog whilst it is on the lead and regularly put it on the lead when walkng - even in an area where it would be safe for it to be off-lead, it associates the lead with good times. Then when on a pitch it is happy to be a bit more restricted.

Having seen how some owners let their dogs loose, I can sympathise with those that do not like dogs wanting them banned from the campsite.
What a great idea about the lead. I will certainly be trying that,although we have no problems with her being tethered other than she knocks over her water when she moves around, any good ideas on that one?

I too can understand why some people would want dogs banned from sights, unruly, uncontroled dogs annoy me and I am a dog owner, but the shooting comment was unneccesary, unhelpful and immature.

May 10, 2005
Visit site
What a great idea about the lead. I will certainly be trying that,although we have no problems with her being tethered other than she knocks over her water when she moves around, any good ideas on that one?

I too can understand why some people would want dogs banned from sights, unruly, uncontroled dogs annoy me and I am a dog owner, but the shooting comment was unneccesary, unhelpful and immature.
Jo, If you go to one of the big pet shops you can by 'non-spill' water bowls. We bought one a couple of years ago. It's brilliant.

Trisha

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hello Allyson My Dog travels to and fro in the rear of our car, in a crate suitable for her size and comfort. When on site we peg the crate down with as many tent pegs as is necessry. Water bowls can be suspended from the sides of cage(s) so you don't have to keep unnecessarily refilling them. Keep a warey eye on anyone trying to make friends with you pet(s) for obvious reasons. Deter all children, as they can be rough without realising their actions. Hope these comments are helpful. Happy holidaying!!!

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We have 4 x Yorkies and I found the best method was to train them properly which is no easy task with Yorkies but with perseverance it worked!

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
I bought some plastic trellis 6x2 which we fasten to the Awning poles with cable ties, although you can fasten them where you like as long as it is secure. Wilkinson's have the trellis I am talking about.

Shiba.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
We have two cavalier king charles spaniels who we are convinced enjoy caravanning more than we do, and we enjoy it a lot. both of our dogs are kept on a 8 foot lead attached to a ground spike and both sit happily outside the van or under it in warm weather. We have found that we do not need to hide the dogs from others although we have had to bring them in a few times when the more boisterous kids have been around (those that will not listen). one point regarding the ground spikes though, most of them have a triangulated loop at the top, this loop is usually large enough for a medium sized dog to get its foot through and trap itself the dog in its panick will severly damage its foot and tendons so it is wise to wrap tape round this triangle to prevent this from happening. One quite funny story was when we where on a site in wales and the dogs where on the leads outside the van, my parents next to us and my sister next to them so we had six cavalliers inbetween our vans, at the rear of our vans was a field and some kids wher running about playing tick, one of these kids decided to jump over the hedge right in to the middle of our vans this startled the dogs who all whent ballisytic and two of the males chrged the lad but never touched him as the leads where too short. this lad ran so fast he was blurred to the eye but he soon returned with his father who before asking was demanding the site owner threw us off site for having uncontrolled dogs, next minuite quite a large number of vanners from over the other side came over and told the site owner what had happened and what they had seen, the lads father was having non of this as his child would apparently never tell lies to him, apparently our dogs had atacked him in the field as they jumped over the fence?. the language the childs father was using towards us and the other caravanners was discusting and resulted in him being evicted from the site, something which us and our new found friends enjoyed watching whilst we enjoyed a communal barbecue.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nice to hear the dog(s) did NOT get the blame. In my experience this is unusual. Well done to those who stated what actually happened.

My two dogs certainly enjoy caravanning - one we had from a pup but the other is a rescue from the NCDL - his owner died so we got him at age 8 years. Settled in really well but was certainly depressed when we first got him.

What a diference when we showed him our caravan! - Straight in and up on the rear seat looking out the window. We thought "He has done this before!"

On site he is calm and no bother - great fun caravanning with dogs - cannot understand those who don't!!

BUT - nothing worse than an uncontrolled dog in any circumstances - not just when caravanning.

As for bariers - I think the plastic trellis suggestion from Glenice/Shiba is great - I am now looking for the "folding" type that can be opened on site but made small for storage in the 'van.

Aug 20, 2005
Visit site
Allison,

We use extending fireguards clipped together to form a square pen.We secure them to the ground with tent pegs and use bungees diagonally across the top corners to secure them.

It depends on the size of your dogs how many you require.You can see them, and if you require privacy use a windbreak.

They cost about

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
As a dog owner of some 60 odd years experience I must admit to being a bit puzzled by some of these answers. I had always understood it was mandatory to restrain all dogs on site on a lead and this seem to be the norm on the sites that we visit.

Of course there will always be someone who must be the exception to the rule and has a canine who is totally trustworthy.....

Our springer is now 10 years of age and stone deaf but in her prime no wind break plastic box etc would have prevented her from socializing and if tied to the awning she would have taken that with her as well!

Now-adays she just likes to lay in front of the awning and watch the world go by and if any youngster wants to drop by to say hello she is only too pleased.

As to permitting her presence in the van, never, never, never, never etc

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
As a dog owner of some 60 odd years experience I must admit to being a bit puzzled by some of these answers. I had always understood it was mandatory to restrain all dogs on site on a lead and this seem to be the norm on the sites that we visit.

Of course there will always be someone who must be the exception to the rule and has a canine who is totally trustworthy.....

Our springer is now 10 years of age and stone deaf but in her prime no wind break plastic box etc would have prevented her from socializing and if tied to the awning she would have taken that with her as well!

Now-adays she just likes to lay in front of the awning and watch the world go by and if any youngster wants to drop by to say hello she is only too pleased.

As to permitting her presence in the van, never, never, never, never etc
Are you seriously saying your dog is never allowed in the 'van. Where does it sleep at night?.... Surely not in the car!!!!

Aug 24, 2005
Visit site
'm so pleased to see so many positive posts about dogs. The reason we started caravanning was so we could take our Westies on holiday with us, after all they are part of the family!

In answer to the first post, if you drill a small hole through the windbreak pole near the top, you can use cable ties threaded through the material and the holes in the poles, to hold up the material. The cable ties can be cut off after each use and only cost pence. There is always a danger of the fabric tearing but if that happens, then perhaps a windbreak isn't the right thing to be using to restrain your dogs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts