Basic Awning Questions

Apr 19, 2019
Visit site
We are fairly new to caravanning and have only put our awning up a few times, and each time we have managed to make it look different! Its a full awning with poles. The instructions are as good as useless with the diagrams and instructions not relating to each other very much.

It is a fairly basic generic question but should the shape of the awning match up with the shape of the awning rail? I'm only asking because on the back of the caravan the awning rail is practically vertical whereas at the front it obviously slopes down, so should the corner legs of the awning mirror those angles Basically the shape at the front of the awning doesn't match the shape at the back (the awning rail) so when you pull the front corners out there is going to be some miss-shape (i'm not explaining myself very well am i).

Anyhow, the next question. when extending the roof poles and the front roof poles, you can only extend them as far as the material will let you. However when extending the legs how high do you extend them as there is nothing to stop you extending them fully - or do you put some pegs in before you extend the legs.

Apologies if they sound obvious and stupid questions but any tips would be welcome (I have watched numerous videos on youtube but we still struggle to get the thing in shape and taut.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
I’d suggest you watch the Isabella YouTube video ‘Isabella Awning Ambassador Assembly’
Although you may not have an Isabella Awning all poled awnings follow the same basic procedure for putting them up. Particularly note how the bottom of the legs are anchored into the canvas which governs the height of the front of the awning. Stick with it. After a couple of times with it you’ll be doing it like a pro.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
The front of the awning should be symmetrical when viewed from the front and is determined by the angled shape of the awning at the outside corners. You will probably find that the awning rope only runs so far down the sides and then the base of the awning can be angled away from the caravan. Whatever the material I would expect the bottom of the 'walls' to be apparent which should be a tad (maybe a couple of cm) off the ground and the awning skirt bridging the gap usually lying inside the awning. The adjusting legs should enable to get the awning reasonably taut even if the ground is undulating. 'Ladders' or elastics on the awning allow pegging evenly again if there are dips in the surface, and always peg at an angle , maybe 60 degrees into the ground. A variety of pegs will prove a boon, steel 'nail' type used on hard ground to plastic if pegging on grass.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You do not say what make and model it is. I would look on the makers web site as most will have some instructions to help you. Once you have it up in a way that you are happy with, I would mark the poles in colour or number them to help put it up in future.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i would agree with Ray you don"t say what make or model it is but on my Vango varkala 11 280 air porch Awning there is 3 sheets of waterproof paperwork how to put it up

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
We are fairly new to caravanning and have only put our awning up a few times, and each time we have managed to make it look different! Its a full awning with poles. The instructions are as good as useless with the diagrams and instructions not relating to each other very much.

It is a fairly basic generic question but should the shape of the awning match up with the shape of the awning rail? I'm only asking because on the back of the caravan the awning rail is practically vertical whereas at the front it obviously slopes down, so should the corner legs of the awning mirror those angles Basically the shape at the front of the awning doesn't match the shape at the back (the awning rail) so when you pull the front corners out there is going to be some miss-shape (i'm not explaining myself very well am i).

Anyhow, the next question. when extending the roof poles and the front roof poles, you can only extend them as far as the material will let you. However when extending the legs how high do you extend them as there is nothing to stop you extending them fully - or do you put some pegs in before you extend the legs.

Apologies if they sound obvious and stupid questions but any tips would be welcome (I have watched numerous videos on youtube but we still struggle to get the thing in shape and taut.
The shape of the awning at the caravan will follow the awning rail until it gets to about head height, usually level with the top of the side windows on the awning. From this point the awning should splay out so that the pegging point closest to the caravan is about 2-3” off the floor. This angle will be close to the same angle as the front legs but not necessarily exactly the same. The sides of the awning should slope inwards from bottom to top. You will also find that there’s a pegging point which will pull the canvas close to the caravan to seal it.
Find that video I mentioned and all will become clear.
Whereabouts are you?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts