bathroom tap appears to leak from the wires??

Jul 13, 2019
Visit site
Hi, has anyone resolved a similar issue? I have a 2006 Sterling Eccles Emerald and after flushing the water system (so using the taps a lot!) the bathroom one leaks when not in use. Water seems to come from under the tap where the wires go into it. It runs down them, hits the drain pipe and then onto the cupboard shelf. the actual water pipes seem bone dry.

Any pointers appreciated.

Rob

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
You could have a hairline crack in the body of the tap, can you stick you head in the with a good flashlight turn tap on and see if you see the water coming out,

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
We had a similar problem to this. Turned out it was the washer inside the tap which had been ok until flushing out but then gave up the ghost and didn't seal when turned off. The washer wasn't replaceable and finished up buying a complete new tap which if I remember correctly was about £40ish
Mike

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
WE had a puddle under our kitchen mixer tap recently-the cartridge had jiggled itself a bit loose so the littel rubber gaskets on the base of it weren't quite sealing-had been fine for over 2 years but our roads give vans some hammer-simply took the mixer lever off and tightened the cartridge down gently after cleaning out the pool of water in the body.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Cracked plastic aside, I suggest unlikely till we have frosts, if the water actually is exiting from the wire holes then the issue is something to do with the cartridge seals. These cartridges are easy enough to replace and cheapish, the biggest issue is buying the right one. Should that be leaking the microswitch is probably already damaged and best replaced.
Another leak route on the underside are the two "O" rings, one in each supply tube coupling into the tap body.
These tubes are typically released by pushing a retaining pin out, the one pin retains both tubes. Here it is all too easy to drop and lose the pin!

Seeing where the drip is actually coming from is quite a challenge. I think I would first go into the taps top to look for wet in there, that is easily done and will give a definitive answer to where the attention needs to be.

Jul 13, 2019
Visit site
Thanks all. Don't want to fork out for a whole new tap but all these suggestions point to that being a likely remedy.

It is hard to see right up into the wires so removal will be necessary at least. It's got me thinking the shower might be doing the same but I can't see under that one!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Yes for those taps I have had.
Access is typically one two ways model dependent either accessing a screw after prising out the bi-coloured bung, or simply unscrewing the operating handle where this is a "rod" type.
I don't know what you have but if this info and the attached link don't help you put up a photo or web link to what tap you have and someone here will know.
It is typically a very easy DIY task without any need to remove the tap.

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/advice/34154-how-to-replace-a-tap-micoswitch-in-your-caravan

Jul 13, 2019
Visit site
Thanks I'll try this at the weekend. I was just looking at replacement cartridges and if that's the issue it looks like not too much of an intricate job to replace - it terms of getting the right one I assume there will be a part number on the one I have, or I can check by measurements.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
The airline crack I had in my tap body was a very , very slight drip more that a leak and was not spotted till the middle of summer on the I O W, so I expect it was from the previou winter,

TRENDING THREADS