bathroom taps not working (electrical fault?)

PJR

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
Our caravan bathroom taps have stopped working, however the kitchen and shower taps are working normally - when kitchen taps used water will come out of the bathroom taps for a few seconds when turned on then stops then just clicks when turned on - like if the battery was turned off (I assume the pipes fill with water) I have checked all cables and there doesn't seam to be any cuts in the wires etc. however maybe a drop of water on the cable coming out below the sink. Is this the reason why they dont work? Would there be a seperate fuse for the bathroom taps?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
First guess is that your taps have microswitches to operate the pump and that the switch in the bathroom tap has failed or become disconnected.

If you can get to the underneath of the tap, there should be a pair of thin wires coming down from the tap with the hot and cold pipe.

If you listen carefully you should hear a click as you open the tap - try this with a tap which does work. If "click" with this tap but not with bathroom, then switch is not being operated by the tap lever. If you do get a click but no pump then probably a fault in the cable from tap to pump. Then you need to check the wiring. Depending on your level of DIY (i.e. whether you have an electrical test meter) then this is either straightforward or a job for a friend who has one !

If there are no wires from the taps, then your pump is probably operated by a pressure switch. Water from some taps but not all in this case is not likely to be electrical fault, so trace all the pipes for kinks etc.

Hope this is some help - if you can let us know whether your taps have microswitches we may be able to advise further. Also whether you tap is in fact two taps (hot and cold0 or a single mixer tap.

PJR

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
First guess is that your taps have microswitches to operate the pump and that the switch in the bathroom tap has failed or become disconnected.

If you can get to the underneath of the tap, there should be a pair of thin wires coming down from the tap with the hot and cold pipe.

If you listen carefully you should hear a click as you open the tap - try this with a tap which does work. If "click" with this tap but not with bathroom, then switch is not being operated by the tap lever. If you do get a click but no pump then probably a fault in the cable from tap to pump. Then you need to check the wiring. Depending on your level of DIY (i.e. whether you have an electrical test meter) then this is either straightforward or a job for a friend who has one !

If there are no wires from the taps, then your pump is probably operated by a pressure switch. Water from some taps but not all in this case is not likely to be electrical fault, so trace all the pipes for kinks etc.

Hope this is some help - if you can let us know whether your taps have microswitches we may be able to advise further. Also whether you tap is in fact two taps (hot and cold0 or a single mixer tap.
Thanks Ray

My taps do have microswitches, you get a click when you open tap but no pump so your theory of a fault in the cable from tap to pump sounds possible. I have only checked the wiring under the sink by sight only (not with test meter) and not found anything obvious, although there is part of the wire were it looks like a join (plastic cover 25mm long, although seams to be moulded to the wire) with a bit of bare wire visible, would it be worthwhile trying to take this cover off?

I haven't traced cable back to pump, will investigate further at the W/E

My tap is a single mixer tap.

Cheers

PJR

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
Thanks Ray

My taps do have microswitches, you get a click when you open tap but no pump so your theory of a fault in the cable from tap to pump sounds possible. I have only checked the wiring under the sink by sight only (not with test meter) and not found anything obvious, although there is part of the wire were it looks like a join (plastic cover 25mm long, although seams to be moulded to the wire) with a bit of bare wire visible, would it be worthwhile trying to take this cover off?

I haven't traced cable back to pump, will investigate further at the W/E

My tap is a single mixer tap.

Cheers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul, my next step would be to cut the wires at some point where you can get to them easily. Then use a test meter on the ends that come from the tap (bare the wire ends first) Check for open circuit when the tap is closed and continuity with the tap open - i.e. after it has clicked. If this is OK, then the mocroswitch in the tap is functioning normally, and the fault is either in the 12v. feed to the switch or in the wire to the pump.

Put the test meter onto the voltage dc setting and check the wiring which goes to the pump. You should see 12v, (or thereabouts)> if this is not present, then you should check back right to the pump on switch which you should have - probably with a green light - on the caravan control panel. But since the rest of your taps are working, i am more inclinded to suspect the microswitch.

It is possible for the switch to click and still not work. On some british vans the switch is fastened to the tap with a small cradle and one of the wires may have come off. With mixer taps, it is possible for the wiring to have been installed incorrectly and become tight and even pull away from the switch.

You can take the handle off the tap bu prising out the red/blue disc which you propbaly have in the handle and then removing the screw underneath. Pull the handle off gently and have a good look at the switch. Unfortunately i have not found a source of new microswitches for the Reich mixer taps, but someone else may be able to advise. it seems over the top to have to buy a whole new tap just to replace the switch.

You can re-connect the wires using either crimp on connectors or "chocolate block" type - the circuit will be 12v. d.c. and ok to work on but avoid touching ends of wires together..

There will probably be only one fuse for all taps and the pump and since your other taps are ok I think the fuse is likely to be ok too.

Good luck

If any other reader can advise - particularly about spare micro switches please don't hesitate !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts