Jul 12, 2020
Visit site
hi i am not too sure what make and model we have it just says ecclew 17.5 but we have just discovered that we actually have a shower in the bathroom but we can't work out how it would of been used.

we have taken the sink out as it was broken but the tap is an extendable shower hose too. But what are these clips for above the toilet and would we of needed a shower tray as that's not in there?
20200725_140146.jpg20200725_140150.jpg20200725_140146.jpg20200725_140143.jpg20200725_140139.jpg
20200725_140150.jpg

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If it had a shower at some point you would expect to see evidence of a curtain rail on the ceiling and an outlet hole in the floor that would have taken the water vis a corrugated hose (like the sink outlet) to the exterior - guessing the age of the van probably to the rear offside corner. Perhaps the extendible hose/tap was to enable hair washing over the sink?
The brackets above the loo definitely simply held the freestanding table that would be used in the lounge while in transit. With the folded legs visible the wooden table top slotted into the bottom angles and then the turn-keys at the top held it in place. Later caravans might have stored the table on the wardrobe side wall or in a dedicated narrow cupboard - perhaps coinciding with the advent of fully lined washrooms.
I suspect the caravan in actually an Eccles and the 17.5 either referring to length in feet or maybe a 17 footer with 5 berths.
If you google 'history of Eccles caravans you will find several articles and even a book by Andrew Jenkinson, and there is an Eccles Owners Club which also comes up when searched.
If you posted a picture on this forum then usually some knowledgeable contributor can ID the van for you.

Jul 12, 2020
Visit site
Thank you. It has an outlet in the floor which they have covered over and a shower head holder on a pole. Its quite old so some things have disappeared. There is no base so it does make me wonder but there are lots of holes in the roof suggesting something has been taken down. I would love to find an old photo of the inside of rhis make but not managed it yet.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Our first caravan was an Elddis that had a similar washroom. The previous owners must have removed the shower tray that forms the floor of the washroom. There would also have been a curtain hung from a rail on the ceiling to screen off the toilet and the door. The handset clips into a holder above the sink at head height. I think you’re right, a previous owner must have changed the table for a bigger one.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Like Turning Drew we have had a shower which I think was similar to yours on an Eldiss. Essentially there was a shower tray as the floor with a basin and tap as you describe, and a toilet at the back. There would have been a curtain suspended from the ceiling that covered the sides and the toilet which would explain the holes in the roof. I do wonder if the shower tray cracked, as that was a common problem and the owners took the tray and curtain out rather than go to the expense of replacing it.
The problem now is I doubt you will be able to get another one due to the age. although you may check with caravan dismantlers. I do not know if one from a different make will fit but if you get the measurements of the area you can ask.
The table would have clipped over the toilet, but if the one you have now does not fit it will have been changed. The top of an original should match other work surfaces if you want to check.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts