Battery box bolt

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
Hello all
I am hoping that someone can tell me the size of screw / bolt which holds the little plate against the battery to hold it firm. I take the battery out over winter in storage and put it on a solar trickle charge. The holding plate is still lying there but no sign of the screw. Just in case there are different sizes my caravan is a 2007 Swift Charisma.
Thank you.

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
Thanks
Got a few bolts lying in the kitchen ready to take to caravan. Now think that it is an M6 of around 1 inch in length which I have ready to try as next time I see the caravan we will be taking it away with us.

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
A recent caravan will use metric bolts. Measure across the hole (overall, including the threads) and that (in mm) is the bolt designation. M5, M6, M8, M10 (should cover your case) are common. Not to be confused with the hexagon across-flats size, for example M8 is usually 13mm AF.

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/bolts/metric-bolt-head-size.aspx
I say usually. Unfortunately the whole system is a mess because the committee who set the ISO standards (as often happens with ISO committees) tried to please everyone - the French, Germans, Italians, Japanese who all wanted their previous standards included, and the British (who originally had the extremely good Whitworth system) caving in to everyone else, so the system is like the Roman Pantheon, everything (except Whitworth) is in there. As a result I have over 200 spanners and sockets of various sorts to cover most of them (that's just the metric), and working on my car or caravan I spend a great deal of time walking backwards and forwards between it and my tool boxes because eg the water pump is bolted on with four M8 bolts, three of which have the usual 13mm AF head, but the fourth has 12mm AF (or is even a Torx or something else stupid).

Don't get me started :lol:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts