Battery charging

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Just returned from fabulous holiday in Anglesey which was not spoilt by a problem with charging the battery. I noticed the volt meter was only reading about 11v so I put a meter on the charging leads. Zero. I then checked the output at the charger 13.4v. Checked all the fuses I could locate and all OK. Anybody have any ideas about what could stop the current going to the battery?

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
My charger has a plug/socket join between the charger and the battery, could have become disconnected? I don't think it's very likely as it's in an obvious place and you'd have spotted it while testing the charger, but it's all I can think of.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, Damien I meant to provide more information!
Caravan is a Bailey Senator (04) and the charger is a new (2 months old) Bailey replacement, I've no idea and can't find any maker's name on anything.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for that info.
Your charger will be a 20Amp BCA unit located inside the main distribution box.
As you have an output from the charger it proves that power is going into and out of the charger unit.
Have you checked the main battery fuse located near the battery box,(may be tucked under the edge of the battery box) or as it is a Bailey it may be on the front panel of the distribution box marked Battery and is probably 15A, make sure it is actually intact with a multimeter continuity test, if it is blown it is not unusual as that fuse should be 20A

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to all the people who helped problem now solved. I followed the leads from the charger (as I'd done before!) and tugged each wire in turn at the plastic connections. One moved slightly so I dismantled the connection, remade it and everything worked. Moral of the story double check everything!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts