Battery issue?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am wondering if our battery is on the way out? I would value your opinion. Normally the battery will charge up to 13.7v, but since 26/07/2020 it seems to stay around 12.5v. Problem is that at 12.5v the moment you want to use the movers etc, it grinds to a halt. It won't even lower the satellite dish. On Tuesday we cleaned the solar panel. Today a very sunny day but still reading 12.5v. Battery is AGM Yuasa 100ah and is just under 3 years old. I do have a spare 110ah Numax battery that is about 4 years old, but has hardly been used.

Cost of replacing the AGM battery is not cheap, but if we have to replace it we would prefer one with a long warranty. A 110 or 120ah probably will be best if it will fit.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Put the Numax into the van and connect to EHU. Then leave for 12 hrs power off then check voltage after an hour. Alternatively put the Yuasa onto a smart charger and see if it reaches “ free” switch off leave for an hour a measure voltage. I keep mine at home and up to four weeks off charge it is better than 12.5 v

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Put the Numax into the van and connect to EHU. Then leave for 12 hrs power off then check voltage after an hour. Alternatively put the Yuasa onto a smart charger and see if it reaches “ free” switch off leave for an hour a measure voltage. I keep mine at home and up to four weeks off charge it is better than 12.5 v
Good idea, but unfortunately I do not have an AGM charger for the Yuasa and a bit reluctant to buy one at present. The Jeep has an AGM battery, but it was fitted about 6 months ago and is still well within warranty. Maybe take the Yuasa to a battery shop and ask them to do a test if possible? We are not using the caravan again until the end of the month and as it is in storage cannot get it to EHU.
Didn't the PC magazine or CMC do a test or reviews for leisure batteries awhile ago?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Good idea, but unfortunately I do not have an AGM charger for the Yuasa and a bit reluctant to buy one at present. The Jeep has an AGM battery, but it was fitted about 6 months ago and is still well within warranty. Maybe take the Yuasa to a battery shop and ask them to do a test if possible? We are not using the caravan again until the end of the month and as it is in storage cannot get it to EHU.
Didn't the PC magazine or CMC do a test or reviews for leisure batteries awhile ago?
CMC did tests around the time the NCC categorisation came out. But there was criticism that the reports did not allow users to differentiate between good or bad. Also that the companies themselves did self certification and not an independent test house. So basically it didn’t further anyones knowledge. Understandable as no magazine based organisation is going to be too critical of equipment suppliers that advertised in the magazine. Whether Which has done anything might be worth looking. When I renewed mine I looked at weights for the given size and brand reputation. I bought a Banner category B lead acid. And “yes “ it’s old style with individual top up caps and not maintenance free. But having it living at home its not difficult to check it periodically.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Have you room at your home for your caravan and plug to the electrics to your house overnight and then you can check to see if it is charging i have one these when i bring our van home

Attachments

• shopping (1).png
    shopping (1).png
    7.1 KB · Views: 0
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I am wondering if our battery is on the way out? I would value your opinion. Normally the battery will charge up to 13.7v, but since 26/07/2020 it seems to stay around 12.5v. Problem is that at 12.5v the moment you want to use the movers etc, it grinds to a halt. It won't even lower the satellite dish. On Tuesday we cleaned the solar panel. Today a very sunny day but still reading 12.5v. Battery is AGM Yuasa 100ah and is just under 3 years old. I do have a spare 110ah Numax battery that is about 4 years old, but has hardly been used.

Cost of replacing the AGM battery is not cheap, but if we have to replace it we would prefer one with a long warranty. A 110 or 120ah probably will be best if it will fit.
Hello,
Looks like your battery is not producing enough current to drive your loads.
Have you kept checking your battery voltage when your mover or satellite dish is operating,the voltage on a healthy battery will drop slightly but on a faulty or undercharged battery will collapse to a much lower value.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Have you room at your home for your caravan and plug to the electrics to your house overnight and then you can check to see if it is charging i have one these when i bring our van home
Nope no way could we bring the caravan home. Also we are rural and the roads leading to the village are very narrow in places and with tractors around the last thing we need to meet is a tractor on the road. LOL! :D
I am wondering why the battery was okay until the 26/07 and then suddenly it would not charge over 12.5v. Hope it is not the charger going faulty?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hello,
Looks like your battery is not producing enough current to drive your loads.
Have you kept checking your battery voltage when your mover or satellite dish is operating,the voltage on a healthy battery will drop slightly but on a faulty or undercharged battery will collapse to a much lower value.

Thanks. I will do that check perhaps over the weekend.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Am I understanding right? You have an AGM Yuasa battery but no charger suitable for an AGM battery - if so, that's the problem!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i think you had better buy a charger then you have one because like you say you have narrow roads where you live and meeting a tractor .

May 10, 2020
Visit site
A faulty battery can and do go from okay to total fail in the blink of an eye. Having said that I would assume that you have checked terminal connections for continuity ? Sure you have but just to be sure.
F

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Here is a print out of the graph for the battery. It shows that on the 26/07 it spiked at over 14v and since then has been steadily dropping down to 12.5v.

1596873482260.png

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Strange the sharp dip just before the third peak? Any idea what you may have been doing that day if anything?
On the 25/07 at 9.37pm it was at 13.7v. At 8.51am on the 26/07 there was the massive dip down to 12.5v from the previous night and I admit I do not understand why. We had packed up the night before to leave early and did not need to use the motor mover etc however at that time probably just putting away odd bits and pieces but still connected to EHU. At 10am an hour later it peaked to 14.2v. At 10.52 it had dropped to 13.1v and has kept dropping and has stayed at 12.5v since 5/08. We have a 100w solar panel on the roof with a Truma control panel.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This morning still at 12.5v. Think I may take a drive to the storage compound as it is cool today and take the multimeter with me. I guess the first check would be the solar panel controller to check the output. Then the battery after I have disconnected the positive. From there the wiring to check gets complicated trying to find fuses etc. Wish me luck.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts