BCA power unit Bailey Senator 2006

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Trying to help fellow Brit on Spanish site. His caravan voltmeter shows only 3 volts and lights dont work.
Disconnected battery and checked voltage directly. 11.5 volts.
Measured disconnectd leads 'back' into caravan with mains power and contol panel on.
Zero volts.
Ideas as what to try next please, problem appears to be with caravan charger ?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The charger has failed, it is a well known problem with the BCA unit being inside the distribution box.
As a temp measure fit a smart charger to the battery, if staying longer than a few days then a replacement charger is required.
I suggest a Sargent XP3000 fitted outside the distribution box. no more problems.
If you replace with another BCA unit, it will fail again in time.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
The charger has failed, it is a well known problem with the BCA unit being inside the distribution box.
As a temp measure fit a smart charger to the battery, if staying longer than a few days then a replacement charger is required.
I suggest a Sargent XP3000 fitted outside the distribution box. no more problems.
If you replace with another BCA unit, it will fail again in time.

Whilst agreeing with that it is first worthwhile opening up the power box (which is a fiddle anyway) as it is a common problem that the IEC mains plug has fallen out of its connector - it needs to be firmly home.

Another common problem with the BCA unit (note, book says 12V 20A but the unit is marked 12V 24A) is that the internal fan fails to work - usually the electronics driving it rather than the fan itself - and if you are in a warm climate the unit will overheat and ultimately fail.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to agree with Gafferbill about the excellent charger in his link and adding the fact, UPS got a similar weight item down to Spain for me in under 24 hrs for a very reasonable £33

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts