Be kind!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Except when we arrived the people in the campervan were nowhere to be seen (out walking with the dog) and the outfit that left late was , how can I put it, completely established with large awning and having done nothing to start the packing up process. We had no idea who should have left.

As it happens we use this CL a lot (close to family) and it's exactly our sort of site. The elderly owners are lovely people who will often go for a walk around the field and stop for a chat. People who use it are, in many cases, regulars. You pitch where you like except only hard standings used in winter of course.

Although arguably I could have done as you suggest it would have been churlish of me to put the owners into the position where they would be expected to "police" the site.

The truth is that the place is relaxed and anything but formal. (Our kind of site) And the owners simply rely on visitors to "play the game". Sadly, as in many areas of modern life, some people either don't care about disrupting others or are simply unaware of the disruption they cause.

Who can say which "camp" (sorry!!!) the late leavers belong to. A sunny day, a short tow home, why not stay late!
I wasn’t looking for a detailed report, my comments related to what we have done on occasions. Even on Ckub sites we have sometimes stayed until later afterwards in off season, but always by agreement with the wardens. That was a useful concession particularly for weekend breaks when we were working.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Went to visit Back of Beyond today and really impressed. Polite and helpful staff opened the gate to allow us access with the vehicle and allowed us to have walk around. Nice beer garden. However it seemed that you had to negotiate steps if you wanted to use the loo?
That was the new toilets you were looking at , there is another more traditional building over the other side.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That was the new toilets you were looking at , there is another more traditional building over the other side.
Next time we need to visit Christchurch definitely book into Back of Beyond. New Forest CAMC site is only about 4 miles from Christchurch, but zero signal not even for phone calls. Emergency calls only.

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Next time we need to visit Christchurch definitely book into Back of Beyond. New Forest CAMC site is only about 4 miles from Christchurch, but zero signal not even for phone calls. Emergency calls only.
There’s a nice CS site at Sway, behind the railway station. Ideally placed to get around the New Forest by car, bike or rail.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Your lack of mobile signal is down to your network being poor in that area - other networks may be fine.

We noticed that our Vodaphone signal was non-existent in a lot of places on our Scottish tour when we were out for the day but ok in the evenings when we were back on site.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Your lack of mobile signal is down to your network being poor in that area - other networks may be fine.

We noticed that our Vodaphone signal was non-existent in a lot of places on our Scottish tour when we were out for the day but ok in the evenings when we were back on site.
I can live without mobile signal on site,but wifi is almost non existent. Unfortunately for us we need signal in case of emergency.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I can live without mobile signal on site,but wifi is almost non existent. Unfortunately for us we need signal in case of emergency.
Emergency calls, ie 999, will use any of the 4 networks, not just the one your phone is registered to.

For broadband connection I still use a Three network dongle as the wifi on many sites seems to suffer from overload by those trying to stream movies and TV programmes.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Arguably if a pitch is not vacated by the allotted time, the site could charge you like a car park does. Perhaps a few £50 or £100 pound charges would sharpen some people's attitude towards breaching their contract with the site.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

We have our phones on different networks to try and maximise chance of reception. We stared doing this as at CCC Rhandirmwyn people with Vodaohone got a signal whereas our T mobile didn’t. Unless we walked up the hill to the Royal Oak. Any excuse 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Arguably if a pitch is not vacated by the allotted time, the site could charge you like a car park does. Perhaps a few £50 or £100 pound charges would sharpen some people's attitude towards breaching their contract with the site.
I suppose that the flip side would also hold. If you arrive at a site at the correct check in time and there is no pitch available, the site are in breach of contract and you are entitled to compensation. A couple of claims against the site might sharpen their attitude too.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Emergency calls, ie 999, will use any of the 4 networks, not just the one your phone is registered to.

For broadband connection I still use a Three network dongle as the wifi on many sites seems to suffer from overload by those trying to stream movies and TV programmes.
Wifi is extremely poor even if you pay the £15 for the premium service.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
All this talk of compensation etc in relation to JohnBs post really is pie in the sky. The CL is run by a nice elderly couple who have developed a rapport with regular visitors to the site. Can anyone be serious about claiming compensation. The owners probably run the CL more as a hobby than a business and clearly enjoy the opportunity to interact with the campers. If such a situation arises a quiet word expressing your disappointment is more likely to succeed. But if the transgressors have gone off for the day realistically there’s not a lot you can do other than talk to them, or block them in then you go for your walk 😱

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Went to visit Back of Beyond today and really impressed. Polite and helpful staff opened the gate to allow us access with the vehicle and allowed us to have walk around. Nice beer garden. However it seemed that you had to negotiate steps if you wanted to use the loo?
There are shower blocks down the left of the site as you follow the road to pitches further down and ramp entrances there👍
We have been there twice and are going back👍

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sadly I think this thread just indicates that there are some people in this world who have no respect for rules,or other people, the overstayers, may have had a genuine reason although from the description I suspect not, I tell myself it is ignorance and can't be deliberate.

Reactions: GaryB and Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts