Beat The Credit Crunch - DIY

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I read an article that said if we all did more jobs for ourselves we could save a fortune and beat the Credit Crunch.

The washers on my Sorento blocked up last week. A quick check of the Sorento members forum explained the problem was a blocked filter. Garage wanted £125.00. I did it for free, took 45 minutes and needed wheel and inner plastic wing removed. Not difficult at all.

As Sorie is out of warranty now I shall do most of my own servicing. It is not rocket science and with the correct guides most things are within reach of the average bloke.

I'll leave the caravan for now as that's still under warranty. Definitely wouldn't touch gas or electrics, just in case....

Cheers

Dustydog

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Dusty.

I've serviced both my carand caravan for years.

Being a qualified multi skilled engineer does help, as I can apply my trade to those of a vehicle technician. I have also worked in research and developement of performance car chassis.

Obviously one does have to be very carefull around gas and especially electric as you can not smell or see electricity in the wires. So if you have had no training, then those are best left to approprately trained tehnicians.

I am quite capable of changing wheel bearings, brakeshoes, doing oil and antifreeze changes etc. On the more obscure side I have built one good gearbox from the secondhand parts three gearboxes for a Morris Marina we had many years ago.

Haynes have produced manuals for cars for many years and also producea caravan and a motorhome manual as well.

They retail at about

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve

I couldn't agree more. I well remember stripping down my A35 van gearbox which had stuck between 3 & 4. Selectors .

I'm well up for DIY servicing including safety things like brakes. Armed with the workshop manual, Haynes as you say, a decent trolley jack and axle stands, nothing is impossible. Maybe not ECU's but do they go wrong that often?

Kia actually sell what they call "a service kit" that includes all filters washers for drain plug etc.

Also join a forum that deals with your car, in my case "uksorento.com". All the answers are there , if not one of the members will answer.

Cheers

Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS