Before we buy our first Motorhome

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

We are just about to take the plunge and buy our first motorhome. Before we do the deal we were hoping to get some advice.

In short, it's just the two of us so we are looking for something with a fixed comfortable bed, with a reasonable lounge area. At this moment the AutoQuest 155 seems to be our favourite. A local dealer is offering a new one with a good list of extras, cruise control, awning, updated TV and ariel at what seems to be a sensible price.

Does anyone have any views on this model, or can recommend an alternative?

Thanks in advance...

Ian & Amanda

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Just had a look at the Tribute. We don't think it's for us. There's only the two of us so would not need travelling seats and don't find them partuculairly comfortable to sit on, compared to a non-travelling seat.

Also, a fixed bed is a must. One of the cabins on our boat has a make up bed. It's never used as it's so much hassle. We're interested in your advice about avoiding a fixed bed model. Perhaps we're missing something very obvious so tell us more...

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Fixed Bed is Exactly that you lose so much space if you can manage overcab this is so much better also extra travel seats are great you can then have day out with freinds etc, if your'e fit enough to make up bed in my opinion avoid fixed have fun chosing(ten minutes to make up overcab then its out the way, you then have so much more space in motorhome.

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Also dont forget payload, water,ect these are very important. Deck chairs cables, barbies,etc all weigh and need to have space to go somewhere.Have a great time whatever you choose

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
WE BOUGHT AN ELLDIS SUNSEEKER WITH AN OVERCAB BED AND A FURTHER MAKE UP BED. AFTER A YEAR WE SWAPPED IT FOR A BURSTNER MURANO WITH A FIXED BED AND CAPTAIN CHAIRS BOTH OF WHICH I THINK ARE A MUST. GO FOR A FIXED BED AND THE BURSTNER IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED,

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Hope I am not ;highjacking' this thread, but our consideration for a motorhome is the same as the OP.
95% of the time will only be the two of us, and I thought a fixed bed at rear would be the best.
John, when you say wasted space, I know what you mean, but how much space do two adults actually need.?
My thought is that an awning would provide extra sleep space for casual sleepovers [or grandchildren]

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Whatever Van you buy, make sure that it has adequate pay load[ what weight you can add to the van ] extra batteries, awning, T.V , clothes, food Etc, Etc. and be sure that if the Van you buy is over 3-5 tonnes that your driving licence covers you to drive it.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Fixed beds are soooo convenient. Ideal for lounging or sleeping, crash out after lunch. We have a CI 644 and has plenty of space for the two of us, climbing up to drop down beds and then banging your head on the roof is not for me. When we are out on the road we are out and about when not driving from place to place so all that interior space is wasted unless you like Scotland and other wet areas I suppose.
I am looking for a later model and have a few wants:
Windows behind driver and passenger doors for those tricky road junctions. This probably means the lounge and eating area is at the front.
120 litres of fresh water storage minimum, we use the Aires in France and do some nights off site.
Fixed bed
Good payload, it appears that the longer the van the lower the payload, I have been looking at Rapido. I checked my 6.4m van on the weighbridge and found that with a reasonable load I was still only about 3 Tonnes so another 500kg to go, remember passengers come in at 70 kg each so you can soon get up to the 3500 kg max mark.
Separate shower toilet area without too much of a squeeze to get in and out.
Garage for the bike/s, I have quite expensive tastes in bikes and so would like to have them out of sight.
Solar panel to keep the leisure battery topped up.
Cruise control for the long journey
LED lights to cut down on battery current drain (we rarely plug in the mains except at home!)
Additional locks on doors, I know they will get in if they want to but I like to make things difficult for them
Awning, not sure - we holiday either side of the summer and sun is welcome in spring and autumn. We have not yet used the awning on our van.

Hope this might help you a bit.

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Driving and sleeping will take up the majority of your motor home existance. You have already chosen to have a two berth van but please remember to have the most comfortable seats available NOT retrimed van drivers seats but pukka Captains seats, the best power /weight ratio and the most comfortable and supportive bed you can buy. A rear fixed bed is usualy the first choice, is becoming increasingly more popular over here and theres no better proof than voting with your wallet. Under (rear) bed storage( Garages) will provide space for all those must haves, bikes, barbies, tables and loungers.
Allow a reasonable space for cooking and allow for an oven/grill.IMHO the bigger the frige the better but not everyone will agree
smiley-innocent.gif

TRENDING THREADS