Belgian / German Travel Info

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
This weekend (Dec 4) and M62 road conditions permitting, we hope to travel to Bad Kreuznach in Germany from Zeebrugge. Does anyone out there know of a similar website to the BBC travel one which gives up to date info on road conditions and weather and, ideally, views from motorway cameras?

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
For the German Road Conditions go to the ADAC website and if you have Google toolbar click translate and that will find you some help. Other than that if Lutz is online in the near future he will be able to tell you more. I should Google Belgium road weather conditions and that should come up with a site. Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, the following link to the ADAC website gives you details of actual traffic conditions on any main road or motorway in Germany:
http://www.adac.de/reise_freizeit/verkehr/aktuelle_verkehrslage/default.aspx?ComponentId=49187&SourcePageId=5900
In the button "Art" you click "Autobahn" for motorway or "Bundesstraße" for main road, as appropriate. Then you enter the number of the road for which you would like details in the field to the right, e.g. A61 or B273. Then click "Suchen" and a map will appear showing all prevailing delays on that road.
Bad Kreuznach is not far from where I live, but unfortunately I won't be around when you are in this part of the country as we are flying out to Australia on Friday.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Unless there's an accident or you are driving during very off-peak hours like in the middle of the night, the autobahns are generally kept free from snow. At the moment, a blanket of snow and ice is covering the side road from our house until we get on the main road, but once there, everything is moving fairly normally despite temperatures around -8°C (and getting colder).
Note that since last week, winter tyres are a legal requirement on ice and snow here in Germany.

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Lutz Although I don't have winter tyres - difficult to obtain over here - I do have a set of snow chains. I think it will be a last minute decision as to whether or not we leave home Sat morning to catch the evening ferry from Hull - assuming the M62 stays open - let alone conditions on Belgian and German motorways. I rather lose the ferry and site fees than risk bending the car, caravan or me!!
Thanks again Mike

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
I think you may have missed Lutz's point there. It is not an option - winter tyres are mandatory, Snow chains can be used in addition when it gets really bad.

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, Woody - point taken. As it happens we've had to pull out of the trip (organised by C&CC) at the very last minute for other reasons. Hopefully we shall be able to claim against our travel insurance. Make me wonder though how many of the 18 other outfits scheduled to go have equipped themselves with winter tyres.
Mike

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts