Belgium/Germany - help!!!!

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
Our 1st time abroad with the caravan - we are going to take the Harwich-Hook of Holland crossing. We dont mind travelling 250 ish miles once we leave the ferry - has anyone got any advice for us - very wet behind the ears:)))

We plan to be away for 2 weeks in August and so dont mind a few days here and there - 2 adults and 2 teenagers - many thanks.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
A site in Germany which is excellent we have stopped at 6 times and will again in April and June on our way to and back from Southern Austria, is near Bitburg a very nice area of Germany. Name Prumtal Camping which is 5 star. It is in the CC Europe Book for Germany and in the ACSI system for camping card but as you go in August the card is not valid in July/August.

The Teenagers would enjoy it as Free swimming pool and large football field. It stands on a small pretty river of Prum. Just 30 minutes up the road is Luxemburg so very cheap fuel is obtained there. Lots to see around. Bitburg good shopping town.

Sorry I do not know the mileage from The Hook but it is 260 miles approx from Calais to Oberweiss.

Hope this helps a bit.

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
Camping Blaarmeersen in Gent is nice even though it is a municipal site, bus goes from outside to city centre about every 15 mins till quite late.

After that Maastricht is worth a visit, 5 miles east is Camping Oriental at Berg en Terblijt which is really nice with a games field and indoor swimming pool that they take the roof off in fine weather.

Then you could go to the Rhine Gorge between Koblenz and Mainz. The river traffic is fascinating and there are lots of nice places to visit. A good base would be Campingplatz Loreleleyblick at St Goar, this is an ex-municipal site being improved by its new owners right on the banks of the river.

From there you could go west towards Bitburg as suggested by Dianne above, or north back into Holland. Unfortunately I don't know Holland well, but hope to after going there in April for 3 weeks!

I am sure that you will have a good time wherever you go.

Cheers

Pete

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
Thankyou for your advice - we are very excited and you have given me a very good starting point - will have to post and let you all know how we get on - thanks again:)))

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Have a lovely and safe trip. We are off 15th April-15th June to Germany and Austria. Our 6th European trip. Last year we did the Grand tour going to Hungary,Slovakia,Poland and Czech Republic. Wonderful but you have to be retired. Something for you to look forward too.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
We live just a few minutes off the junction of the A3/A66 near Wiesbaden, so anyone driving down from Cologne to Switzerland or Austria is welcome to drop by for a cup of tea. Besides, you can stop overnight with your caravan behind our back garden. Just let me know.

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
We live just a few minutes off the junction of the A3/A66 near Wiesbaden, so anyone driving down from Cologne to Switzerland or Austria is welcome to drop by for a cup of tea. Besides, you can stop overnight with your caravan behind our back garden. Just let me know.
What a very kind thing to say - have just read your message and it has put a smile on my face - so thankyou. In this age of doom and gloom its nice to know there are nice people out there :)))

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi fiona,

I think you will love Germany,We go there a lot but do not be suprised if you are the only brits on the sites you stay at,which is great.I would plan where you are going to stay carefully as Germany is alot bigger than England and the speed limit is only 50mph/80kph on the autobahns although I tend to get behind a truck doing 56mph/90kph.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts