Bessacarr Cameo remote control Heki problem

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
We have recently paid a deposit on a 2016 Bessacarr Cameo 565. It has two remote control handsets for opening the two Heki's, which we've never experienced before, having always been used to opening it manually.

The caravan was serviced today and when we phoned the dealer to check if the van is ready to be collected, he told us one of the remote controls that opens and closes one of the Heki's is only working intermittently, with a slight juddering on opening the main Heki and the other handset is not working at all. Presumably the handset batteries have been checked, so we're wondering if it could it be the gearbox that's causing the juddering? We've told them we are not collecting the caravan until this problem is fixed.

Anyone else had this problem?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Wow, a remote to open the roof windows/vents. I knew Bessecarrs were nice, but I dont mind opening my roof vents myself. Just pay for new remotes, but check on the Guarantee , time for the roof windows and controllers.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The remote control unit is circa £110. The whole Heki unit £1200. Not sure if individual parts are available. Be careful.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " I knew Bessecarrs were nice,"

Yes they were nice, were being the operative word.
Once Swift got hold of them they have become just another Swift van with all the associated problems.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Quote " I knew Bessecarrs were nice,"

Yes they were nice, were being the operative word.
Once Swift got hold of them they have become just another Swift van with all the associated problems.

Hey , steady on !! Swift owner here , but no remote hekis ! I don't mind opening 4 roof vents manually :lol: :p

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well they strike me as just another answer to a question that hasn't been asked. I suspect the design teams get together after a good Xmas break and are tasked with the job of putting together nexts seasons designs. Any good, or not so good ideas chaps, says the Away day organiser? Yes guv how about an app to tell you when your gas bottles are empty. No,I've got an even better one? What's that Tim? Remote controlled Heki roof lights. Why is that a good idea Tim? Well guv just imagine life in a caravan with remotes for mover, tv, sat system, heating, gas bottles, audio system and smart phones so that you can organise your life on IR, wifi and 4g. That's awesome Tim let go for it. Oh Jim has an idea, whats your idea Jim? Prevent damp ingress and a long life axle. Oh come on Jim how are we going to make money with such stupid idea. Best you go back to Honda and leave caravans to those of us who know what the customers lifestyle choices really are.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Hey up!,, Hold it! ----- I've two Hondas and a Swift and no complaints. -- I must be stupid?

Did I criticise Honda or Swift? I hold Hondas in high regard other than the F1 team.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I have these on my Bessacarr too. There are a few points to note:

- the batteries for the remotes need to be good - I would suggest changing them every 12 months.
- once the batteries are getting past their best, you need to hold the remote close to the red indicator light, using press and hold technique.
- on closing, keeping pressing the close button until the red light extinguishes, as this confirms the roof is latched properly. This takes a little longer than expected.
- disappointingly, the rooflights use 2 different remotes, where one plus a spare would have been more practical. This means you have mark at least one of them.
- the battery cover to the remotes is held with a screw, which is a pain, as I prefer to remove batteries when they are not in use.

I too get some juddering from one (the rear one) but this only happens when the motor is under its greatest load as it starts to open.

I recommend checking the rain sensor that closes the unit. This is of course on the frame on the roof - the pcb needs lacquer spraying onto the pcb tracks to prevent corrosion. Its the same with the circuit board inside the interior roof frame - no lacquer on them either which is very poor given their location
You can also operate lights within the rooflight frame at 2 light levels, but its a bit of gimmick really.

Just make sure you can open and close both fully

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
chrisn7 said:

- the batteries for the remotes need to be good - I would suggest changing them every 12 months.
- once the batteries are getting past their best, you need to hold the remote close to the red indicator light, using press and hold technique.
- on closing, keeping pressing the close button until the red light extinguishes, as this confirms the roof is latched properly. This takes a little longer than expected.
- disappointingly, the rooflights use 2 different remotes, where one plus a spare would have been more practical. This means you have mark at least one of them.
- the battery cover to the remotes is held with a screw, which is a pain, as I prefer to remove batteries when they are not in use.

I too get some juddering from one (the rear one) but this only happens when the motor is under its greatest load as it starts to open.

I recommend checking the rain sensor that closes the unit. This is of course on the frame on the roof - the pcb needs lacquer spraying onto the pcb tracks to prevent corrosion. Its the same with the circuit board inside the interior roof frame - no lacquer on them either which is very poor given their location
You can also operate lights within the rooflight frame at 2 light levels, but its a bit of gimmick really.

No lacquer on the pcb is similar to the Thetford electric flush pcb which also have no lacquer either. Yet both applications are ones where you would have though that lacquer would be necessary.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
chrisn7 said:

Sounds like a totally OTT, unit, removing the batteries, wow. Caravanning is enjoyment not worrying about thing like this.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Hutch, removing the batteries to stop corrosion from leakage is less painful than replacement of the remotes. I do the same with mover, dvd and tv remotes!

I had an Alde control pnal die from this issue once when I forgot the batteries over winter

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
Hutch, removing the batteries to stop corrosion from leakage is less painful than replacement of the remotes. I do the same with mover, dvd and tv remotes!

I had an Alde control pnal die from this issue once when I forgot the batteries over winter

Sorry Chrisn7 i thought you meant after every trip out. .

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Thank you chrisn7 for your helpful reply.
With this information we drove over to the dealer yesterday morning and found they had been trying to operate both Heki's with one remote, cancelling each other out in doing so! Following your information, both Heki's worked perfectly, so thanks again for that.

We were due to take our Challenger in at lunchtime and collect the Bessacarr, but noticed the mover they had fitted, was not the Powrtouch Evolution we had asked them to put on, so thank goodness we turned up unexpectedly and spotted it, before arriving later to drop our Challenger off and collect the Bessacarr.

The dealer wasn't expecting us to turn up first thing in the morning and looked stunned to see us. Did they know full well that they fitted a different mover and were expecting us to turn up later with our Challenger in tow to collect the new van and hope that it was too late to do anything and we would just accept it, or discover it once we had got home and it would be too much trouble to take the van back, as they knew we have a holiday booked in the next few days and it would be too much hassle for us?? We'll never know.

Anyway, we insisted we wanted the Powrtouch Evolution, which we had asked for a week ago and which was written in their notes. They said their fitters are busy and couldn't fit one for several days and did we want to take the Bessacarr away and try the mover out that they have put on it (NO!), we insisted on the Powrtouch and they have now ordered one and hopefully, we can collect the van early next week. Talk about an emotional roller coaster!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am disgusted at the dealer trying to fob you off like that. Fitting a mover contrary to the contract requirement, Then to tell you their fitters are too busy to fit the correct one!

I'd be pointing out the Consumer Rights Act and hinting at breach of contract. I be insisting they get the correct mover fitted ASAP as matter utter priority over other customers work. Its the dealers fault and not yours.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts