Best 12V TV for Caravan and on / off grid

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
I can see Practical Caravan recommended the Avtex TV the best, but wondered if anyone had any other good suggestions for a 12V TV for on and off grid

We have Apple iOS devices, and would need Apps like Netflix, YT

Jul 12, 2023
Visit site
I got a Samsung M5 monitor plus invertor rather than a TV as a decent 12v will cost alot more and the invertor doesn't add many watts. 27", light, hooks up to my Bluetooth Anker speaker as a soundbar or headphones (X2) has built in streaming of all the major apps. No regular TV mind but I can't say I miss having it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have a 21" Avtex in the bedroom area and a normal 28" Smart TV in the front. The Avtex is in case we go off grid. Avtex although they have probably the best after sales service are vastly over priced. They have an excellent viewing profile when viewing from various angles which is important in a caravan.

We did try a Cello but were not impressed with viewing angles and reflection on screen during daylight, but this was about 7 years ago.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
I refuse to pay excessive prices so we fitted one of these
RCA RB22HT5A 12 Volt 22" https://amzn.eu/d/5wNtfPk
Along with a
MAJORITY Bowfell Bluetooth Sound bar for TV https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1246038
And finally to get All the streaming services a ROKU Express | HD Streaming Media Player,Black https://amzn.eu/d/2Eniydi
this gives us total flexibility.
Its quite economical with the 12v supply TV us just over 1amp and the soundbar about 2amps so in total less than many TV.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We have an Avtex that must be12, if not 15 years old. Still a Brilliant picture and good sound, has a DVD player built in. Always seems to find lots of channels. It was more expensive than others when we bought it but it has more than paid that difference back.
Mel

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Another vote for a 240v TV and a low power inverter, because it could then be used in the house if required. Thats the set up I ran for many years in various motorhomes. If I wanted to do that in a caravan I would seriously consider a solar panel (100 watt minimum) in order to keep the LB charged up.
Personally I don't find TV to be an essential on acaravan. I do have one, but it very rarely gets used.
My current set up is an LG mains Smart TV, it comes with a transformer that reduces the current to the TV to 19 volts. So I bought a 12 -19v transformer so I can, if I want, use it whilst off grid (which so far has never happened as we tend to opt for EHU, but that could change if EHU costs get silly.

Avtex are, without doubt, very good bits of kit, but at a price I consider to be far too high for what it delivers, that being several hundred pounds more than the cost of my current set up.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
The RCA TV I linked to is 12v but comes with a 230v-12v converter so best of both worlds.
Already go too many TVs in the house so it can stay in the van.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
We use a cheap 12volt TV and an Amazon Fire TV stick.
With a cheap (£30) MiFi and a Smarty unlimited sim we have had no problems watching Prime, Netflix etc etc
Problem with Avatex and other smart TV;s is the apps often installed on them often become obsolete before the TV gives up the ghost, and are gorrible to use too.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
24" Cello with built in DVD and certainly not a "Smart jobby"!
Few years old now but a has a decent picture and the sound quality is also pretty good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts