Best Jacking Option

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Hi

I'm pitching a twin axle caravan on a seasonal pitch and need to level the van with scaffolding boards. The caravan is fitted with Dual Alko wheel locks. I previously had a single axle caravan and lining up the wheel for the clamp was a real pain.

Could you please advise what the best option would be for jacking the van so I can rotate the wheels into the correct position. Would rather not use a trolley jack as to position it under the axle weight plate means lying on the floor to use the jack and I'm getting too old for that.

Thanks

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I would be very careful with a side jack, i hate the things. Ok to use at home or in emergency but on a campsite, possibly with soft ground. Are you using the Alko for insurance purposes? I know you get a discount for using them, but there are easier options for when on site. Personally I feel the discount isnt worth the hassle. When on site, I use the Nemesis Ultra and tbh its very very easy to fit with minimal to no lining up. I do use the Alko at home.

This one

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Thingy unfortunately my insurance company doesn't recognise purple line Nemesis Ultra as an approved wheel lock.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We are insured through the C&CC and get a discount for the Nemisis Ultra. If you want to jack the side up to fit the ALKO then the lock and level is probably the best option.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So how does this work with helping to align the lock in the receiver?
You can move the van back and forth on the flat section of the elevated wood lift. This means you don’t lose the transverse levelling as tye raised wooden section is flat as opposed to trying to go up or down a ramp when you lose transverse level. I tend to use a lightweight wheel lock though when touring. It meets my insurance conditions. But I carry the Alko as a precaution in the event the van has to be left off site. Then transverse level isn’t important.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
But how does that help with a twin axle caravan. You still have both wheels on the lock and level ?
:D Easy. Fit rear ALKO using mover. Inflate bag under rear wheel so that it lifts the caravan. Release handbrake and turn front wheel to line up receiver. My wife was an expert at this.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
:D Easy. Fit rear ALKO using mover. Inflate bag under rear wheel so that it lifts the caravan. Release handbrake and turn front wheel to line up receiver. My wife was an expert at this.
Ok I thought the bag lifted both wheels, not individual ones.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Maybe if we were starting out again , I would consider the L&l for our SA, but the way health is going for the pair of us, no new gadgets for the moment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts