best route to Chateaux des marais nr Blois (loire Valley)

May 20, 2006
Visit site
Hello All

We are camping at the above this summer and I am looking for suggestions for the best route. I don't mind paying autoroute tolls, but I would like to avoid Paris if possible. On the other hand I want the quickest route there.

The obvious route seems to pass around the outskirts of the City (I presume the equivalent of the M25 around London) but is it a bad/busy choice.

Thanks

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Its up to you,personal choice but I have used the perepherique many times without problems(avoid peak times though)all you need to do is before you go write down all the junction names that you will pass so you know where you are and of course note for the one to leave on which is 6b I think,down the autoroute for Orleans then there take Autoroute towards Blois it is easy from there.This is a very nice site used it a few times as short stop over(3/4days)owners very helpful,speak english,and are usually in the bar if you get there late.Ask for 10amp elec they do have it.Many places to visit including vineyards up the lane and of course Chateau Chambord is brilliant look out for the double helix staircase.In their gounds are veiwing points to see wild animals including Wild Boar.There is a Boulangerie short walk in the village better than on site.Enjoy.

May 20, 2006
Visit site
Thanks very much thats the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

The perpherique it is then ! - thanks for the advice on the site too!

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Stuart,just a bit more detail if it helps:-from Calais take A26 then the A1 towards Paris after you pass under the runway of Charles DE Gaulle airport take the A3(if you miss the turn dont panic you will still get to the peripherique just further around)at the peripherique you want to go clockwise towards Bordeaux( on peripherique stick to your lane and dont be intimidated)go over the Seine and leave at A6b/A10 signed Orly-Lyon-Bordeaux-Nantes keep on A10 to Orleans then A10 towards Blois leave at Junction 16 onto D205 at 'T' junction turn right onto N152 to Mer turn left at traffic lights to Muides sur Loire over river,over X roads and turn right to the site.The site has as I said before has 10amp if you ask and they often let you pick your own pitch,try to keep towards the front all pitches are very shady,little fishing pond,bar,restaurant,take away etc.

Small supermarket nearby but big Elclerc on road towards Orleans by Beuagency.

You can pick up route etc of www.mappy.com with english version pictures of the road signs that you will see and where speed cameras are located.

Hope this helps if you want to know more just ask.

Have a good time.

May 20, 2006
Visit site
Thanks again - while the topic is still 'hot'

I was advised by someone a while back that Caravans were banned on 'Le peripherique' I presume that this is a misunderstanding.

I think that perhaps he is refering to the 'inner' ring road around Paris ? (I wouldn't dream of using it anyway) and that 'Le peripherique' is actually the A3/A86 - or have I got it mixed up ?

I can see the route on my map clearly from your instructions

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stuart

When are you going to Chateau des Marais?

That's the site our daughter is at for the season.

We will be using it this August.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi again Stuart caravans are not barred from the peripherique(always struggle with the spelling of that)I am not aware of an inner ring road other than this one which is fairly close in you can see Eiffel Tower but believe me its not a problem so long as you plan ahead,if you imagine it as a clock face you come on at 3 o'clock and leave by 6 o'clock(I hope thats not a premonition!)

It can be busy but no worse than places in UK a mystique has been built up about it.Plan from a good map Michelin atlas is best with its A3 size plan of said peripherique.I dont know if it has a road number but the signs for junctions etc around it are very good so you should not have a problem.When are you going and is Marais your only site,I will be interested to hear how you get on.

May 20, 2006
Visit site
Hi Smiley - we'll be there in July and the first few days of August - if you're there then look out for us.

Thanks for the mini-review Rob_jax, hopefully given the above dates we'll miss the mini-tornado's and just experience the blistering heat ! better than the alternative in Britain I hope. We're already paid up for the site - bieng first timers to france I am prepared to pay the premium.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Sorry to put a finger in the spokes here, I travel to France a lot and Avoid Paris and the Perepherique like the plague.

Ihave to and have had to use it many many times during busy and so called quiet times.

To me amd many working contacts that route is a complete no brainer when you can just roll along with little fear of any hold ups down past Rouen, Alencon and LeMans way or even past Dreux and Chartres.

I've experienced long delays in the quiet times after accidents and mad French police doing spot checks on French motorists causing chaos.

I've also spent an hour and a half waiting to get under the runway of Charles De Gaule and another two + hours the other side of it on a Tuesday morning at 10.30 on Route to Magny Cours.

A lot of brit race teams always used the Paris route to LeMans.

With the new roads, all I know use the Rouen Alencon route as it is much quicker and has less hold ups and the route fairly pretty.

Plotter has been VERY lucky I guess, not mine and many other friends and working contacts experience. My drivers will do anything to avoid jobs that take them via Paris and the Pereferique!

I'm sorry to disagree with Plotter but the Paris area is a BIG PROBLEM and I've had very few good runs around there at many times of the day, and with a Caravan it just does not warrant the risks.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Cris,as I said in my first response it is a matter of personal choice the route you suggest is fine but quite a bit further and the extra distance would possibly take longer than any possible delay,I honestly have gone round the peripherique many times and not once had a problem and this is at different times of the year but as I said originally avoid the peak times.

I really believe that as I also said a mystique has built up that I and many of my friends have never experienced,but then as you say perhaps I have just been lucky,but then if I am that lucky how come I still have not won the lottery!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
The Paris route has "faster" roads overall but distance is in fact further. The faster roads do not actually guarantee faster times to the Loire region.

The new Autoroutes down towards Amiens and Rouen have vastly inproved travel time and probably shortened the distance to.

The Paris orbital roads are no mystery they are a regular nightmare. Looking at my work logs my guys and I spent about 400 days on French roads last year. I spent three days driving in France last week and had guys at LeMans and in Nice and Lyon.

We travel as much as we can out of peak traffic times yet still have had many many problems on the Periferique and surrounding roads on numerous times over many years.

Apart from the time mentioned trying to get under the CDG runway and on we have incidents such as missing the morning rush around Paris on a Friday morning and still getting stuck for 5+ hours longer than the time it should take to get to Poitiers. Last year on one trip to LeMans in a fully loaded van on a Monday morning I left the Speed Ferry at Boulogne and got to LeMans three and a half hours earlier than a former face driver in a Porsche who knows the route around Paris!

I've been working in France and Europe for over ten years for myself and before that for others and avoiding Paris unless you have to go there has nearly always been the smart move.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Likewise I cannot understand why anyone is frightened of the Perepherique, I have lost count of the number of times I have used it and never had any serious hold-ups. Admittedly I have only done it about a dozen or so times towing the van but solo about 3 times a month for the last 7 years.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
The Paris route has "faster" roads overall but distance is in fact further. The faster roads do not actually guarantee faster times to the Loire region.

The new Autoroutes down towards Amiens and Rouen have vastly inproved travel time and probably shortened the distance to.

The Paris orbital roads are no mystery they are a regular nightmare. Looking at my work logs my guys and I spent about 400 days on French roads last year. I spent three days driving in France last week and had guys at LeMans and in Nice and Lyon.

We travel as much as we can out of peak traffic times yet still have had many many problems on the Periferique and surrounding roads on numerous times over many years.

Apart from the time mentioned trying to get under the CDG runway and on we have incidents such as missing the morning rush around Paris on a Friday morning and still getting stuck for 5+ hours longer than the time it should take to get to Poitiers. Last year on one trip to LeMans in a fully loaded van on a Monday morning I left the Speed Ferry at Boulogne and got to LeMans three and a half hours earlier than a former face driver in a Porsche who knows the route around Paris!

I've been working in France and Europe for over ten years for myself and before that for others and avoiding Paris unless you have to go there has nearly always been the smart move.
Cris I bow to your greater experience but you dont explain why I still await the big lottery win,that aside I am intrigued what do you do to be over there so much work wise?

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Well I never mentioned being frightened of it, it is just another road to me and I see plenty of them!

I would not send anyone around the M25 if there was a good alternative, the roads past Boulogne from Calais have far less problems and far less hold ups.

The distance is shorter that way than via Paris and there is also a cheaper more pleasant routesinto the Blois area.

Having spent hours around Paris in traffic myself and had workers stuck there as well, why spend time with a caravan wife kids etc in potential Multi Lane traffic when you can cruise along enjoying the French countryside with far lesser chance of a hold up problem when you are on holiday.

Where I live I often have to use the M25, I have no problem most of the time but then again that means bumper to bumper moving at between 20 and 30 mph a lot of the time.

I've also spent time working around Paris area a few years back, the Periferique was no problem for about 18 out of 21 days but my time there was extended to 21 days due to problems on the Periferique and Paris traffic problems as we sat for hours in traffic instead of working.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site

cris

I had a Porsche like that once... never again

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Now if I win the lottery I could get a 911 and give it a shot,at the end of the day many roads can be a pain in the proverbial,I do a lot of miles although by the sound of it not in your league I only do about 50k pa but I think the biggest problem with holdups is you rarely get prior warning to take a detour although I do use the RAC number on my mobile to check out key routes and they are usually up to date.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

We are also going to Chateau des Marais in July. We will be travelling from Zebrugge passing Paris around 4pm on a Friday afternoon. I take it that's a no no then !!!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Mac.

I guess it is like a gamble. As Plotter, GrahamW and I have said. You can navigate Paris with little or no problems as you can the M25.

But when the gamble goes wrong it can be torture without a van in tow and wife and possibly kids getting excited in the car.

I love driving and caravanning in France and have had few problems on route with the van, but for me I would advise people to avoid the likes of the M25 or Periferique if you can and it is not in your destination area.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts