Best route to Italy from Dunkirk?

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Last year we thoroughly enjoyed our trek to Spain/France but thought this year we would go and see Italy. Have the ferry booked (May15) and plan to take approx 6 weeks or so. Have been looking at routes and used Autoroute for first stab but it directs me through Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland - well it would as I asked it for shortest routeto Verona!
Looking at some of the threads on this forum it seems many people go Belgium-Germany-Italy. I aimed for Verona as a start point and figured at least 4 days to get there. It also occurred to me that I could just drive down through France to Annecy and then onto Torino and start from there. The boss would like to come back through Germany tho so would still need vignette.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
You dont say what parts of Italy you intend to go to?, i ask because if your intentions are solely to go by Turin to get to a starting piont of verona, then it seems a little out of your way to me.
Going back through germany, i assune that means Austria ect, would mean just 16ish odd euros. 8 ish for using the brenner pass and 8ish for a 7 day Austrain vignette.And really you would be passing Verona to do this, so maybe if you intend to travel down into Italy, might i suggest Verona as not your starting piont? and if you do want to go Via Turin then maybe head south to florence or where ever.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
sorry I didn't make myself clear. I just picked out Verona as an arbitrary start point though if going via France only I wouldn't go anywhere near it. Thought we would head south as quick as poss to get to the warm weather. Would like to see Southern Italy most and then sort of meander back home via Germany. I just thought perhaps going via France would be easier (never driven in Germany). I know the peage is expensive and that I would have to get vignette for Germany. Once we decide approximate route then can start looking for sites and points of interest etc. Maybe I've got it backwards - should decide on places to see and then work out route.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
If you use the Germany route Graham, then Tolls Vignettes are as i said roughly 16 to 18 pounds each way. Germany itself is toll free.
The dearest route would be to use the French M/ways system, like the one that runs down to the Italian border, at either mont blanc or the freju tunnel towards Turin.
But you may well know the French roads well and know how to use the non paying roads mixed with some toll Mway, or like that route anyway and know of some good stop overs,but still those routes are the most expensive, by a long way to get to Italy.
My favourite route is straight through Switzerland, but as you intend to come back Via Austria and Germany, then going through Switzerland would make you Journey almost as dear as going through France.Unless that is you did the same route to return, as you would have to buy switz vignettes, for both the car and van! 31 Euros each! but they last for the return journey too indeed until the end of the year 20011, have herd they last even into jan 2012.
Its complicated as to which is the cheaper option going through and returning through Germany and Austria, or the switz route, but either route offers magnificent views.
Have you already booked your ferry? i know there can be a lot of good deals out there,and with Norfolk line going to Dunkirk, its actually shorter to Italy using the Luxembourg/swit route, and also favours the German route too.
www.Camping.it should be useful for finding and looking at site options.

Good luck

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Last year we went from Dunkerque and stopped first at Camping Kockelscheuer in Luxembourg leisurely four and a half hours.An overnight stay then on to Camping Vitznau in Switzerland near Lucerne where we stopped two nights.From there is was straight into Italy and our destination of Camping Sereno on Lake Garda.This year we are looking to go via Austria as we found the cost of vignette in Switzerland bit steep and the hurendous hold ups trying to get through the Gothard.Coming back we came via the Brenner and Fern Pass and we are aiming to go and return that way this year (Booked Camping Du Parc in Lazise)but in the end it what suits the individual.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Taffy. Not a bad site camping du parc, stayed their 3 years ago in September, although not in our caravan. Nice wide entrance, but they do bunch the caravan together and OK its possible me, but it looked really, really tight to get the vans down onto their pitch.
I would never have attempted it with my outfit,although the place was quite packed with tourers, so obviously possible.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all your help. We have decided to go down through France then over to Torino. We shall return via Germany and Belgium we think depending upon how much we enjoy Italy - we may stay longer there - have about 6-7 weeks this trip.
We get off the ferry at Dunkirk around 14:00 so plan the first overnight near Peronne. After that it all depends upon the traffic/weather/scenery etc.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Grahmh Just seen your posts. If you require suggestions fro sites in Italy and in the Austria, Germany and Belgium on the way back have a look at my website as in my signature below. They are mostly all ACSI Camping Club sites presume you have the Book and Card for the time of year you are going.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As others have said, it really depends on which part of Italy you're heading to. We've driven to Italy twice, the first time was via the French autoroute network than crossing over into Italy via the Mont Blonc tunnel. Last year we took the Belgium/Luxembourg/Germany/Austria/Brenner Pass route. I'd probably try and avoid the French route again, the roads are fine but the tolls are now getting a bit silly. The only issues with the Lux/Germany/Austria route is that the towing speed limit for a lot of this is 80kph, we saved a fortune on diesel driving at this speed rather than our usual 60mph/100kph, but of course it does mean the journey takes that little longer.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your replies and apologies for late response. We have been planning the route down thru France staying on Non-toll roads. About 120 miles the first day - after getting off the ferry at 14:30. Then about 200 miles the second day. No fixed plan after this as we may stay longer/drive slower/see something to stop for etc etc. Anticipate taking maybe 5/6 days to get to the border with Italy but then it may take a lot longer. We enjoyed that method last year so think we may as well meander down. If the weather is not good we may go quicker. We travelled some 3000 miles last year with 17 stops but anticipate maybe up to twice that this year - the miles not necessarily the number of pitches!
Had a shakedown trip last week to Cornwall with no probs and just have to prep the car with rear brake shoes and wheel bearing + service. The boss has already produced the checklist of kit to take.
Regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts