Best route to Swansea

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Has anyone ever travelled to the cc clubsite at Gowerton, Swansea or Gower penninsula area from the Shropshire area? Which route is most suitable for towing? I am travelling from the Telford area. Thanks, Dave

Apr 9, 2005
Visit site
dave we are off to Tenby, hubby says we are going down to bristol, over the bridge, M4 until it runs out.The other roads are naff, he says.We are also from telford,but there might be queues at bristol depending when you go.Hope this helps.

Apr 9, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave, two ways

telford-leominster-brecon-swansea or my preffered route

m5 m50 south wales join up with m4 exit junc 47 swansea west,take 2nd left, after 1 mile turn right at roudabout,straight on at next rbout,left at next rbout, approx 1/2 mile turn right at traffic lights,turn right at next set lights into pont y cob rd, site is 400 yds on right.if you need any info on swansea or gower just post a message

Andrew

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave.

This will do absolutely nothing to help you get to Gowerton but when you get there visit Tenby. Three years ago, looking for car parking space tried the two storey park. Short stay downstairs (cheaper option)packed out full of people almost fighting for space. Upstairs - long term - nigh on empty and FREE !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I will agree with swanseajack - the best route is M5, M50 and then M4 at Newport. However be careful between junction 33 and junction 43 for overhead speed camera vans on bridges and the 50 mph at Port Talbot on M4 - fixed speed cameras in both direction on this stretch of motorway as well as the vans.

If you were to venture slightly further west to the CC site at Pembrey Country park you will find excellent facilities on site and a large natural country park right on the beach - junction 47 (I believe) off M4. Plenty to see and do if the weather is kind to you. If you have them and you decide on Pembrey take pushbikes with you. The site is close to both Swansea and Llanelli and pretty central for all south Wales. Good luck and enjoy your stay in Wales.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I will agree with swanseajack - the best route is M5, M50 and then M4 at Newport. However be careful between junction 33 and junction 43 for overhead speed camera vans on bridges and the 50 mph at Port Talbot on M4 - fixed speed cameras in both direction on this stretch of motorway as well as the vans.

If you were to venture slightly further west to the CC site at Pembrey Country park you will find excellent facilities on site and a large natural country park right on the beach - junction 47 (I believe) off M4. Plenty to see and do if the weather is kind to you. If you have them and you decide on Pembrey take pushbikes with you. The site is close to both Swansea and Llanelli and pretty central for all south Wales. Good luck and enjoy your stay in Wales.
Forgot to mention by using the M50 you will not be paying the toll on the Severn Bridge.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If it was me I would take the B2156 and then left onto the B4567, follow this for about 200yards and turn right onto the B9812 and follow this for 200metres and the turn left onto the B2156 and then left onto the B4567, follow this for about 200yards and turn right onto the B9812 and follow this for 200metres and the turn left onto the B2156 and then left onto the B4567, follow this for about 200yards and turn right onto the B9812 and follow this for 200metres and the turn left onto the B2156 and then left onto the B4567, follow this for about 200yards and turn right onto the B9812 and follow this for 200metres and the turn left onto the B2156 and then left onto the B4567, follow this for about 200yards and turn right onto the B9812 and follow this for 200metres and the turn left onto the B2156 and then left onto the B4567, follow this for about 200yards and turn right onto the B9812 and follow this for 200metres and the turn left onto the B2156 and then left onto the B4567, follow this for about 200yards and turn right onto the B9812 and follow this for 200metres and the turn left onto the B2156 and then left onto the B4567, follow this for about 200yards and turn right onto the B9812 and follow this for 200metres

and then turn left onto the site. or you could look at a map and work it out.......... lazy g?t

May 12, 2005
Visit site

Pembrey is accessed off J48.

May 12, 2005
Visit site

Take the bikes anyway, you can cycle from the Gowerton site all the way to Pembrey along the Millenium Coastal Park 98% off road.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I Agree with Coilins route,M5, M50 A449, M4 all excellent roads and avoids the toll to cross the bridge from the English side. The A449 is duel carrigway with very few Islands or traffic lights, scenic most of the way with stopping places and is approx 23 miles shorter than the Severn bridge route. I have used this route to S.Wales for 25 years, although not towing, and the only problems I have had are on the M6 and M5 at peak times. This road has some climbs which shouldn't be a problem if your cars upto it.

Brian

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I would use the M5/M50 route into wales - also avoids the possibility of the bridges being closed to high sided vehicles in heacy wind - as well as protecting the wallet. The views along this route are superb and it is usually quiet except for bouts through monmouth. The M4 I have often found to be hectic until you are west of Cardiff, so take your time. This is a superb area and well worth the drive.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
As I live in Leominster I favor the country route as apposed to motorways. I go down the A49 to Hereford and out on the A465 to Abergaveny, then over Black rock and the heads of the vallies to Myrther Tydfill, then on to swansea. Takes about 1 1/2 hours to get to Swansea and just over the hour to do Telford to Leominster.

Don't forget you have to pay toll charges going into Wales but not out over the severn bridge. So you could try both ways to get comparison.

The chip shop at Port Eynon is very good and there's a nice pub just round the corner to wash it down.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave

Assuming you haven't already left, I agree with Colin about the best route and also the site. I live at Burry Port and use the Pembrey site although it is only 1 mile from home. It is far superior to what's available locally than Gowerton and you can reach the Gower in about 15 mins anyway. If you don't want to drive you can get the train from Burry Port which is a main line station and you can get to Tenby, Fishguard and Pembroke or East to Swansea and Cardiff. If you want a night out you can get a taxi from the site to the station, cost

May 29, 2005
Visit site
great site one of our regular weekenders.

follow the directions in your caravan club handbook and you can't go wrong.

do mind out for the wee bridge just before the site I always close my eyes before we cross(thank god I'm not driving)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts