Best Route To Tenby?

Jan 17, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone advise us which is the best route to take to Tenby from Lancashire towing a caravan, we are torn between the most direct route using the 483 oswestry or straight down the M6-M5-M4 which is 86 miles further round. Thanks Malcolm and Kim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Malcolm - from the M5 take the M50 which will bring you down to Ross. From there it is an A classified dual carraigeway via Monmouth to Newport. Join the M4 at Newport and procede west to Tenby. By using the M50 and A class roads you will cut out the Severn bridge and save quite a few miles.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Malcolm.

Colin hs the right route if you like motorways, but you could run into traffic from j11 m6 to j8 and again on m5 from m6 to j4 m5 and at j6 and j7 worcester. There are roadworks at the island below j24 M4 Newport which seem to be taking forever to complete.

IF you don't mind A roads, the A49 from Warrington to Leominster and then A438 to Brecon, then the A40 to Carmathen. It is all good to reasonable quality A roads,and reasonably direct. It's a long treck which ever way you do it, but on the A road routes offer several rest points. At my town Leominster for instance, you can pick up tastey fish and chips from the chippy at the main traffic lights which has the old bus station car park behind it for easy parking. you would also go past our Morrissons store which again offers food and fuel with easy parking. After then the next handy stop over is Carmathen Morrissons. There are neumerous layby's along the way.

Atb Steve L.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi Malcolm agree with Colin

I only ever use motorways for this run, and I am never in a hurry it' can be a matter of timing!!! It's easy if you don't mind Motorway driving, the M50 is a little like a dual carriageway !!!

Have a good trip no matter which way you go.

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Agree with Colin on the M50 but I would then pick up the A40 at Ross and keep on it to Abergavennny then take the A465 you got one hill section but not to great. You stay on that till you meet up the the M4 at junction 43 and then head west for tenby, saves meeting up with the m4 at juction 24 new port and going round in long loop.have good trip.

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
Malcolm,

For what it's worth I agree with Taffy that the Heads of the Valleys Rd A465 route is quicker and it avoids congestion hot spots at the Coldra M4 J24 and also the elevated section above Port Talbot/Afan (at peek times).

I was tempted to say...1-B, 2-B,....10-B as my kids still think that its hilarious!

Regards,

Mathew

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Go with Steve's route. It's a lovely run, and you are on holiday, after all. There are some pleasant CLs around Leominster for an overnight stop, too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts