Best Towbar for Mondeo 57 plate (the previous shape)

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I've just bought my first caravan and need to get a towbar on my mondeo 57 plate, the previous shape. Flange, swan neck or detachable????? There are cost issues but is one type any better or worse than another???

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
All depends on your needs and desires, fixed flange gets my vote every time, cheapest, easier for add on's like bike racks, blade type stabilizers and so on, (also added bonus of built in parking sensor but I haven't said that, lol) But people who love their cars say that fixed flange are ugly.

Detachable, The most expensive, very nice, neat when you aren't towing as you can remove the ball when not towing but it all depends if you find towbars an eyesore or not, only certain types of bike rack can be used.

Swan kneck jobs are mid priced but less versatile regarding bike racks and things

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Don't forget that with a fixed towbar, whether flange or swan neck, you've always got the danger of knocking your shins when getting at the boot of your car. Once it's hurt a couple of times you'll wish you'd gone for a detachable towbar.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
a car is a car is a car.i have fixed towball, have used fixed for years. have never knocked my shins on them, and to be honest , a car has 4 wheels, an engine and a tow ball.

(I have got beyond the point of treating my car as a loved and cherised extension of my ego)

The one benefit of a fixed towball is that when someone shubts you from the rear it really makes a mess of their front bumper and trim.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The 'advantage' of added protection in the case of a minor shunt if the towball is in place can easily turn into a disadvantage if the shunt is a bit more severe. All the force of the shunt is transmitted straight into the underbody of the car rather than being absorbed partly by the bumper. This can result in the chassis sheet metal being bent and that is very costly to repair.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The 'advantage' of added protection in the case of a minor shunt if the towball is in place can easily turn into a disadvantage if the shunt is a bit more severe. All the force of the shunt is transmitted straight into the underbody of the car rather than being absorbed partly by the bumper. This can result in the chassis sheet metal being bent and that is very costly to repair.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Shucks, I only clicked once.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Michael.

Ive got the 06 Mondeo and i have the flanged one but to be honest i wish that i had opted for the detachable one when i had it fitted.

Maybe im more clumsy than most,but i have knocked my shins once or twice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts