Best towing route

Feb 19, 2024
Visit site
Please can anyone advise the best route for towing our caravan from Lancashire to Pembrokeshire.
We like the scenic routes, but don't mind motorways either. We like driving on decent roads only. Nervous about getting stuck on narrow roads.
The site we are traveling to is Redford caravan park.
Not booked it yet as unsure when we are going. Likely to be June this year, avoiding school holidays.

Reactions: Paullus1959
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
I travelled from Staffordshire to a site at Herbrandston near Milford Haven a couple of years ago using the M6, M5 and M4 motorways. It was an easy but longish journey of 240 miles.
I am planning a return visit this year and was considering the M6, M54, A5, A49, A489, A40 route across country. This is certainly a very scenic route with many towns and villages to go through along the way but, many of the bottlenecks have been bypassed. From my location the scenic route is around 40 miles shorter but, there is very little difference in travelling time. The A roads on the route are good and wide with only a few significant hills to climb. I know the route reasonably well from my driver training and motorcycling days. There never seemed to be much traffic either.
Not knowing your exact location but, looking at the map, it appears that the A49 from Warrington is a simple choice if you do choose the scenic route.
Whichever way you go though, Pembrokeshire is absolutely beautiful and well worth the effort.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I would be inclined to go M6/M5/M50/A40 to Abergavenny then A465 to M4 at Neath, A48 to Carmarthen and A40 thereafter until you get towards your destination.
The A465 'Heads of the Valleys' road can be busy but is a good drive.

You could go A40 from Abergavenny to Carmarthen but it takes you up and down a lot of hills south of Brecon.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not sure where in Lancashire you start?
The A483 is an alternative scenic route. The A49 is a good road , used for 50 miles last autumn.
You have to ask what sort of journey do you want.
Arrive asap or time is no issue.
The motorway route is longer , but faster and some may say less stressful as on the whole you can max at 60 mph . No speed changes like the A roads bar road works of course. Conversely if sightseeing is the option then one of the A road routes suit.
On balance I suspect some will say the A roads require more concentration whilst others will say it makes no difference.
None of the routes suggested would put me off.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts