Best way to deal with leaking roof light and roof?

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi all the first priority job on our restoration of our 1983 Cosalt Clubman 414 is to sort a Roof/Rooflight leak .
The Roof light is as shown in these pictures its 40cm square opening I think.

DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

DSC_0261.jpg

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0231.jpg

My thoughts are :
The damage appears to be associated with the rooflight and fire mushroom vent openings.

The roof had a pool of water where you can see the marks on the roof between the roof light and the edge to stop this from soaking through whilst awaiting repair I have tipped the van so it is now sloping and it no longer pools the direct leak appears to have stopped as a result.

The timber surround to the roof light opening is rotten and squashy so this requires removal.
The rooflight shows signs of ongoing leaks in the form of an excess of mastic or sealer being applied to the outside like a sticking plaster on an open wound..

There is significant damage and delamination of the ceiling boards which has been attempted to cover over with truly awful anaglypta wallpaper.

So what do I need to do ?
My thoughts again are:
Strip a section of the most damaged ceiling board between the roof light and door to gain sight of where the leak is truly coming from.
Remove the rooflight (HOW?) and clean hole of all old sealants and mastic .
replace any rotten or damaged timbers lining the opening.
Replace the cracked mushroom vent in case this is also leaking.
Try to correct any depression in the roof causing water to sit beside the rooflight allowing it to seep in and cause more problems.
Set a new rooflight on new sealants and mastic (which type , rooflights and sealants?) would this be an opportunity to replace with a larger one allowing me to trim off any damage to the roof and create a new seal and make the van more airy ? Are there any roof lights recommended or those that may cause issues with leaks or in use why are the Heki ones so much more expensive than say MPK or Fiamma both of whom make roof lights?
Could I do away with the mushroom vent and fit a large heki type vent , do they have baffled ventilation for when closed so we could operate the heater ?
Would it be advisable to apply this EDPM paint at the same time / before refitting the rooflight?
http://www.caravanroofrepair.co.uk/home if so over the whole roof or just the section around the openings?
Is there anything else I should do (leaving aside ceiling for the moment whilst Im there ( replace toilet vent with rooflight ? fit tv aerial?

what else have I forgotten/ don't know what I don't know?

My objective is to fully weather seal the van so protecting any future work and update it for modern family use not a concours type restoration.
Many thanks for your help and advice
steve

Ps I will also be removing and refitting the awning rail as per guides I have seen as that is a source of problems too.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
First of all I would cover the roof with a tarpoleon before doing anything else, and then strip the roof lining boards out & see what damage / rot there is, water could have been getting in for years & causing damage not only to the roof lining but the timbers that support it, it would be better to find the extent of the damage now & then decide if its going to be worth proceeding as it will be a test of your joinery skills to re-build the roof lining alone, you might have to build a new frame to support the roof lining. If you find that it is not as bad as it looks you would be able at that point to fit a larger roof light.

As well as the awning rail the front seam that goes across the roof looks suspect for letting water in. If you have access to a borescope it will help you look into the corners & behind furniture, you will also need a damp meter to check any timbers that you find.

I used one of these when i did my damp repair ;)

Leeds-20120511-00273_zps7b4df8ee.jpg
Leeds-20120511-00274_zpscffb38d3.jpg

Good luck.

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Sprocket I have ordered one from ebay .
Has anyone else considered or replaced a rooflight with a larger one ?
If so how did it go?
What brand did you go for and how big , as mine is 400mm square I could go to 500mm square or for a larger Heki type that appear to be up to 1m by 700mm?
Has there ever been a test on rooflights and what came out best?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts