BEWARE ROAD TAX ON LINE/PHONE

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have just spoken to somebody who taxed their car via the phone, very easy and straight forward.

However the disc can take up to 5 days to arrive and if you applied say the day before the month end you will not be legal if not displaying a valid tax disc even though you have paid your money.

Their is no warning of this via the phone or Internet instructions and the only way that this person found out when she phoned with a another query. The operator said the DVLA would not prosecute but the POLICE certainly would if you got caught.

You have been warned!

Regards Nidge

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
yes I did mine recently by Internet. I waited and waited; 2 weeks later I called and they sent another; this time it DID arrive ! Meanwhile (with an expired tax disk on display) I printed out the confirmation from the DVLA that I HAD paid my

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
I think that the Police use the number plate rather than the tax disc. Roadside cameras ( both manned and unmanned)can check instantly to see if you have insurance and MOT as well as it's all computerised now !

Quite right I say ! Apparently there are 2,000,000 uninsured drivers out there. They should have their cars crushed before they hit someone.

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
The Police do not prosecute you for a vehicle excise offence, they only act as agents and prosecute on behalf of the DVLA.

Consequently if the Police see an untaxed vehicle the matter is reported to the DVLA who then only if appropriate sanction the prosecution and supply the necessary evidence.

Aug 9, 2006
Visit site
I was always under the impression it was illegal to not display said tax disc, so regardless of whether you have paid for it or not if its not displayed then your in trouble.

Cob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Further to my original post. Just as 'Colouredcob' has stated, this is what the person at the DVLA said and you would think she should know what is correct and legal!.

Regards

Nidge

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
While it is true what Steven says about the police usually reporting the matter to the DVLA, if your car is parked with an expired tax disc, or not displaying one at all, a traffic warden can issue a 'parking ticket' for

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
The excise licensing system is completely computerised now, so even if you renew your tax disc at a post office each disc has a bar code which is scanned along with the bar code on your V5 document. Consequently the DVLA records are immediately updated to show that your vehicle is taxed. The DVLA is highly unlikely to sanction a prosecution for failing to display an excise licence if it had been timeously renewed, besides as a general point of law you cannot be prosecuted for failing to display something you havn't got in your posession .

regards

Steve

Oct 7, 2006
Visit site
I recently used my mobile phone from work to renew my tax disc. I telephoned at 08.30 on the Thursday and it took me about 4 minutes to complete the questions. When I got home the next day being the Friday the Tax Disc was waiting for me.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Whats the problem with a 5 day wait it quite clearly states before you complete that it will take upto 5 working days, if you do the business when you recieve the remider then no problem. you can apply for the tax disk from the 15th of the month before expiry, if you dont like the system then queue up at the post office (if you can still find on outside a major town)

Kevin H

TRENDING THREADS