Big Five "O"

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
As the title says, highlander is fast approaching his half century (midle of january). this was one of the reasons we decided to buy into the caravan malarky, to give us the opportunity to have a completely different lifestyle on our days off work and during the holiday period. we are going away for three days last week of january for my birthday, nowhere too far as this will only be our second voyage, still to make our minds up where we will go but looks like it might be auchenlarie in the south west coast of Scotland as this is only an hours drive away. lookin forward tae sitting wi a wee dram and totally chilling.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi

Five-O? Done that 20 years ago. Live was great until my wife joined me in retirement. She wants to do shopping, and theatres, and things. No time for me to play.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
aye peter, only seems like yesterday i thought that as well and here i am, unbelievable, canny imagine me being that age.

suppose i will maybe have to look at given up the sportsbikes as well, canny have an auld dude outrunnin the young uns.

cheers for wishing us well, nae doubt it will go awright.

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Best wishes highlander for your birthday. I past that part of my life six years ago come this January. Are you a Capricorn by chance.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Another Capricorn here, Christmas Day.

I'm told that the day I was born people came from far and wide bearing ration coupons, fresh rabbit, Hershey chocolate bars and jars of Virol.

They thought I was the second coming.

G

Much the same as Racoon but we retired :0)

I don't advise the caravan and having fun lark when you get to your 50's, we've decided to give up caravanning :-(

We've just completed a bike tour of India and why do you need a caravan when you can slum it in a tent with a couple of petol stoves to cook on and just the bare minimum of gear.

We got the chance to join a group riding from Terra del Fuego, Ushuaia to Alaska and then we've agreed to ride the Road of Bones as per Ewan McGregor and Charle Boorman, visiting Mongolia, Kazahkstan and Siberia and to China if possible.

So after many year of our beloved caravans we're giving them up in the newyear it seems.

So beware of what caravanning edventures can lead to, the draw of the Mongolian Steppes and mountains of Asia are to big a chance to miss as is South America.

But really, the Caravans will stay tucked away nice and toasty warm at home ready for our return :)

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Celibrated my big 50 in our caravan in october.

Reflected on life where we have twice given up the idea of the cottage in the country. Once by greedy *ankers who strangled our business until it collapsed despite a healthy orderbook. Then by the blinkered attitude of our local council planners when I tried to get permission for a house on our ground so that a young couple could start on the housing ladder with a self build project. Oh, that one failed just because I am not an architect who would charge 7k to draw up un workable plans and then another 3K for a re-submission of the scaled down version. One only find's this out later when I was tipped off that had I of used a council friendly architect I would of got my way!

So being 50 and living in our tourer is my castle. Best of all, I ain't paying council tax!!!!

Being free to do just what I want, when I want is great.

Caravanning is the true class leveller and a most socialable way of life where you don't have to grease any palms, just the hitch twice a year.

Have a great 50th and hook the van up for a real party.

Steve L.

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
Happy Birthday! Got there in June this year! Gone mad, gave up my career....will panic in a couple of months when the money runs out, but meanwhile I am having a ball!

Oh, for the courage to give it all up and caravn full-time.

Enjoy!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Got that shirt and it fit's well.

Why not let your house for 6 months and give it a try. If you can weather January and Febuary, the rest is a dodle.

I say that because our summer site closes for 7 weeks due to planning conditions. We then have to rough it on any cl or odd site that is open.

This year we ahve found a site with 10amp electric but a concrete hard standing, so we have to look at the plus's and minus's of concrete verses 16 amps of electric.

Come March, the world's our oyster.

Not fed up of caravanning yet and in fact I'm more relaxed than ever I have been living in bricks and mortar on some snobby housing estate, where the neighbors always want to rule what you do!!

Here I get up when I like, do what I like and if I do tire of this site I just hook up and find another.

No junk mail, double glazing salesmen, talk talk cold callers or unexpected bills being chucked through the letter box.

So am I in heaven or eden?

Probably.

Steve L.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
it's no too far away buddy, Scotlands a small place :).

we go the last weekend in january, don;t know where yet, maybe ye can let me know about this one.

cheers.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
oh dearo, ressurected this post because its gettin near to that day in my life i dont look forward to ( 3 sleeps). ive even been kinda reminiscing and reflecting on what ive done in life, whoa, this is sad, i cant be that age, im young.

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Highlander,HAPPY 50TH XXXX You are just a wee sprog yet. Lots of time left to enjoy life.I have spent my last 3 birthdays away with the caravan.A most enjoyable experience too! Have a lovely time with your family.I took your advice visa vie Hamish Haggis and he looks much better but he smells a bit strange.Shall I give him a nice hot bath?Thats if I can catch him the little b****r!!!

Thursdays Child

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Highlander, I've just found your post of 16th Dec, so apologies for this late reply.

As I've only seen Craigielands under two feet of snow, perhaps my immpresions are a bit clouded, but I'd say that the whole site is a bit tired.Allowing for the said snow and frost, everything worked, but the shower blocks needed a severe makeover. Lashings of hot water, and everything functional, but......There is a bar and clubhouse on site,with restaurant, where the food was excellent. The owners could not have been more helpful,and all the staff cheerful.We paid rally rates, so I don't know what the regular rate is, but I'd guess it will be in excess of

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts