Cargo Carrying Capacity 2976 lbs

Gross Dry Weight 6624 lbs

Hitch Dry Weight 850 lbs

What Tow Vehicle ??????

Thanks in anticipation

Graham

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I think you'd better recheck those figures first. I have never heard of any caravan with an MTPLM of 9600lb (=4350kg). That would be something really massive and more than twice the weight of the heaviest caravans that I know.

The biggest and heaviest 2004 Fleetwood that I can find is a 640 Heritage with an MTPLM of 1700kg.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
The size and weight would suggest a "5th" wheel type caravan that tows behind a huge 6 or 7 litre american pickup with the 5th wheel gear over the pickup bed or behind a VW or Daihatsu crew cab van with the 5th wheel "Mini Artic" setup.

Failing that if the size and weight are correct behind a truck, sounds like the sort of the things they use on film locations

That size trailer is bigger and as tall as a Ford cago truck!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
As before, a huge lump of Motowns Muscle to pull it I guess.

& litre Econioline Van? people carrier or the huge pickups!

Don't forget that lots of these american trailers and RV's are made for warm climates. Chassis hardly have any paint on them and these beasts are not built for are climate or roads.

Expect to find poor finish and loud gawdy fixtures if it is US built, you will not then be dissapointed when you take a close look and have no excuse when you part with your money.

You may be pleasantly surprised, but I doubt it. Have seen to many film set units and RV's!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
For that sort of size you will defintely need a medium sized truck to tow with, ideally a 5 to 7 tonner. Any trailer over 3500kg requires by law to have an independent braking system and you would definitely need a commercial vehicle (C&E or equivalent) licence.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
There is a grey area in British law re what license you need to use certain recreational vehicles. Large vehicles (trucks/coaches) converted to motorhomes pay car road tax and are still being driven on normal car license. So you can't drive a minibus with certain conditions, but if you convert a coach and register it as a motorhome many still drive with normal license!

Combined waights of tow vehicle and "trailer" alter the reags in some ways.

Phone calls to DVLA and police will have your head spinning. Some of the big UK based suppliers of American RV's, Caravans and 5th wheelers are a better bet on the law of what license you need to tow these beasts or drive large RV's with trailers. The suppliers do not want to sell to someone and then get sued if you say they have misled them re the license you need to be legal.

Any doubts call RV world (? midlands I think) or Dudley's Oxon.

Feb 8, 2006
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the comments.

The trailor has been bought and is awaiting delivery to the UK. When it arrives the electrics will need to be converted then will need to be towed to the south of france where it will remain for most of the time.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
If it is to live in France it may not turn into the usual rust bucket. You would be surprised how many of these american builds have bare metal under the skin!

If you have somebody to sort the electrics that "really" knows what they are doing, thats good. If you have any doubts about the US wiring and what you need to change, a call to "Gold Motor Service Company" at Alton Hants may be a wise move before it leaves the country. Many American RV's end up there to have the electrics sorted after they have supposedly been converted, also a good source for quick supply of US sourced spares!

Feb 8, 2006
Visit site
Thanks again.

I believe we have someone to sort out the electrics. We could have it delivered no problem but suspect when it arrives in france it may look like a 'static' which could then involve additional cost for location.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Graham,I am no expert on these USA RV things but I do know that many need Transformers and some electrickery to make all the electrical gear work.

It s a long way to the south of France if you find you have a problem, I know people who have imported their own RV motorhomes and had electrics converted by qualified electricians only then to find they go off travelling and have problems on location.

Even if you make a call and get an idea from the RV pro's I mention above about what they would expect to do and supply, you should be able to know that your own expert is going the righjt route before you have a problem.

ps. many RV's have come through Liverpool docks, before shipping the wise people have extras such as microwaves and auto sat dish gear stowed under the beds. Many a unit has arrived minus nice extras that have gone on route!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I believe it relates to the port of departure in the states that connects with Liverpool.

A scouser would no that the US Microwave and RV motorised sat dish etc would be of litle use to them and they are all to honest uop there anyway!

Phew, that could have been nasty, Thanks Mate!

Feb 22, 2006
Visit site
We have been looking at that trailer here in California. We have a diesel pickup truck to haul it with. From what I have heard, such a thing is unheard of for recreational use over there. I'm concerned about the room on the road for an eight foot wide trailer. This is a link to the floorplan and details to this trailer. http://www.gamel.com/shop/inventory/show.php?stock=16153 . This is the one we are looking at. Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts