Bigfoot motor mover

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Anyone used a bigfoot motor mover, on either single or twin axle???

How good are they, their claims are pretty good and so is the demo videos on the site (which does give me confidence as no-one else puts demos up).

Also the bigfoot has been awarded alsorts of accolades for use, power and quality.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Only you can decide if the fitting of any kind of mover is worth it! You need to balance the benefits/drawbacks of each system against you own perceived or real needs. However can I raise some of the issues that you might consider before taking a decision?

Generic types - There are basically two types of movers currently available.

Those that fit to the front of the caravan A frame (ball hitch or jockey wheel), that have their own battery,

And those that fit to the caravan chassis and drive the caravans own main wheels.

Availability- The A frame types need to be fitted to the caravan each time you want to use it, and it must be removed for towing. So If you want the mover on-site you must make provision for carrying it and its battery in the car or caravan and in doing so consider if you would need to lift it in and out. The chassis types are fitted and stay with the caravan at all times.

2) Weight - The chassis types are heavier than the A frame types thus reduce a caravans payload capacity by a greater margin.

3) Effectiveness - Regardless of the type of mover in use it is a physical fact that the pulling or pushing force (Drawbar) is directly related to the weight (Down force) on the driven wheel. A frame types have only their own weight and the nose weight of the caravan, whilst the chassis type benefits of the weight of the whole caravan on its driving wheels. This simple fact has a major impact on the safe usage of the mover.

The amount of drawbar required is dependant on the surface conditions, so having a clear understanding of the land types it will be used on is essential and will affect the type of unit you choose. If your need is to be able to move a caravan over hard flat surfaces, then the A frame types will perform quite adequately. For rough or uneven ground the chassis type will be more effective

4) Safety- Consider a flat surface leading to a downward ramp. On the flat surface either type of mover will move the caravan with safety. But starting down the ramp the weight of the caravan will start to push the mover, and could cause it to skid and loose control. The A frame units are more prone to this problem than chassis units

5) Cost- In general, the A frame types area cheaper than the chassis types, but cost isn't everything, so it is vitally important that you consider the job you will be asking the system to perform.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I have a big foot mover and use it on two caravans, The single axle van 1150Kgs moves very well and you have a good level of control which enables me to weave it up a slope and round a corner at the same time. Something that even four adults found difficult to do. The other van is twin axle and 1360Kgs. The mover moves this one very well back and fore but turning is gradual as I don't have the luxury of being able to lift the front up enough to have the front wheels clear of the ground.

The van has been designed with the axles linked together so as you go over humps you don't get the useual hefty weight transfer you get with todays vans with independent suspension.

Because I use my mover on two vans I have fitted a secondary jocky wheel clamp to speed things up as I always have the two to get ready. For me the mover wins over a fixed system but it is down to personal choice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a big foot mover and use it on two caravans, The single axle van 1150Kgs moves very well and you have a good level of control which enables me to weave it up a slope and round a corner at the same time. Something that even four adults found difficult to do. The other van is twin axle and 1360Kgs. The mover moves this one very well back and fore but turning is gradual as I don't have the luxury of being able to lift the front up enough to have the front wheels clear of the ground.

The van has been designed with the axles linked together so as you go over humps you don't get the useual hefty weight transfer you get with todays vans with independent suspension.

Because I use my mover on two vans I have fitted a secondary jocky wheel clamp to speed things up as I always have the two to get ready. For me the mover wins over a fixed system but it is down to personal choice.
Thanks for both replies.

Steve, as you have one yours helps me. I'm just about to get a twin axle van, which on it's own weighs 1350kgs. The mover hopefully will move it up a driveway and a sloping kerb. It has to go up a very gentle sloping drive for about 15 feet. Accuracy isnt a problem as im not pushed for space, and i didnt want a fixed mover. Si i've bought a bigfoot et on the strength of what i've read and seen, but your the first person with a twin who has answered my query.

Much appreciated, i shall be trying motor mover later today.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts