Bike Carrier for Caravan

Sep 25, 2006
Visit site
Hi

I've just got back from Italy and nearly all their vans have a bike carrier fitter to the front A frame to carry 2 bikes which I thought was a great idea, has any one used one, what are they like and where did you buy it.

Thanks

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Most probably they were Continental caravans featuring long "A" frames designed to achieve low nose weights; often 4.5%.

They can then often cope with the additional weight of the bikes and still keep within the vehicle's and hitch's loading limits.

A very different situation to most UK vans with short "A" frames and nose weights of 75+ kgs already close to the vehicles limits.

Most vans come with 100kg hitches even if the vehicle itself can cope with more.

I could do it with my set up [hitch and car 150kg] but having used a rear vehicle carrier for some years I often found it a handicap in that it inhibited the reversing angle. A bit of a pain getting the wife out to warn each time we reversed and the lack of manoeuvrability achieved.

The same would be the case with the bikes on the "A" frame.

Now we just remove the bikes front wheels and transport them in the car on a purpose made carrier.

Sep 25, 2006
Visit site
Most probably they were Continental caravans featuring long "A" frames designed to achieve low nose weights; often 4.5%.

They can then often cope with the additional weight of the bikes and still keep within the vehicle's and hitch's loading limits.

A very different situation to most UK vans with short "A" frames and nose weights of 75+ kgs already close to the vehicles limits.

Most vans come with 100kg hitches even if the vehicle itself can cope with more.

I could do it with my set up [hitch and car 150kg] but having used a rear vehicle carrier for some years I often found it a handicap in that it inhibited the reversing angle. A bit of a pain getting the wife out to warn each time we reversed and the lack of manoeuvrability achieved.

The same would be the case with the bikes on the "A" frame.

Now we just remove the bikes front wheels and transport them in the car on a purpose made carrier.
Thanks for the info

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings,

The spec. for Swift Group caravans in 2008 says they have strengthened anchorage points on the rear of the caravans for the placing of bike racks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts