Bike Rack

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone help?

I want to buy a towbar mounted cycle rack that I can still use when towing, can anyone suggest a good one? The other idea is to mount one to the rear of my Bailey but as it's only a few months old I am unsure if this is good idea, and also whether it will affect resale value?

Any help appreciated!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
For the sake of stability, a bike rack on the back of a caravan is just about the worst place to have one. If you fit it to the towbar, don't forget that it will reduce the maximum noseweight that you can set your caravan to by the same amount that the bike and its rack weighs. Otherwise, you will be exceeding the permissible load limit for the towbar.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have Witter bike rack which is great without the caravan and when with the van I put the bikes inside the van in the middle and pad them well with sellepng bags etc.. Seems to work well. I put the heavy items from the van in the car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul, I had a towbar mounted Maxraxx(?) I think thats what it was called but couldn't get on with it there was too much flex in it for my liking. I took it back and bought 4 thule roof mounted ones and bars for my L200 Warrior. They work a treat and are extremely stable. I've since changed to a new Range Rover which might pose a problem getting them up there but I'll succeed. Wouldn't recommed towbar mounted, if you can afford and are agile go for the roof mounted option

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have no problem with my Maxraxx. I have a swan neck hitch so the clamp fits around this. I guess the standard version, fitted behind the hitch, would be more stable but I never have any problems. I would not advise carying more than one bike with the caravan hitched as the load is about 30 kg which you need to add to your nose weight.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I've recently been considering your question myself. I wouldn't go for a tow bar mounted bike rack, it'll add extra to your nose weight allowance. The best option for a bike carrier in my opinion is a roof mounted one, the load is distributed over your towing vehicle. However, that wasn't suitable for me as I am a woman and would struggle to lift them onto the roof mounted rack. We went away last weekend and put three bikes in the caravan over the axle. The were wedged in securely and did not move around. (For the return journey, I placed some plastic sheeting on the floor, due to the bikes being muddy). Incidently, whilst away, I did buy a high mounted rack from Halfords but you had to be Einstein to understand the instructions, and unfortunately it looked like the rack would be about six feet off the floor, so that's being taken back tomorrow. Bear in mind that if you are carrying ladies bikes, or some of these new type dual suspension bikes, you have to buy false crossbars (about

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I've recently been considering your question myself. I wouldn't go for a tow bar mounted bike rack, it'll add extra to your nose weight allowance. The best option for a bike carrier in my opinion is a roof mounted one, the load is distributed over your towing vehicle. However, that wasn't suitable for me as I am a woman and would struggle to lift them onto the roof mounted rack. We went away last weekend and put three bikes in the caravan over the axle. The were wedged in securely and did not move around. (For the return journey, I placed some plastic sheeting on the floor, due to the bikes being muddy). Incidently, whilst away, I did buy a high mounted rack from Halfords but you had to be Einstein to understand the instructions, and unfortunately it looked like the rack would be about six feet off the floor, so that's being taken back tomorrow. Bear in mind that if you are carrying ladies bikes, or some of these new type dual suspension bikes, you have to buy false crossbars (about

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts