Bike Racks

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi, we're about to buy a caravan after being stupid and selling our last one, only this time now the kids are a little bigger and their bikes are getting bigger, I'm looking into one of these towbar mounted type units, am I correct in thinking that the weight of the bikes need to be considered during the calculation of nose weights, if so by reducing the nose weight of the caravan doesn't this start to cause stability issues?

Regards

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings,

The nose weight of your 'van is not a weight that is inflexable.

It will weigh more dependant on what you put in (or on) the van.

So, if you put bikes on the A frame it will increase the nose weight.

This is why you will have to pack the van accordingly in order that the nose weight is the lesser of either the chassis limit (usually about 100kgs) and your vehicle (sometimes more than 100kgs in the case of a 4 x 4 or less in the case of an 'ordinary' car).

This can be done by carrying heavy items behind the axle of the caravan.

But beware of putting those heavy items right at the back as that too will have a detrimental effect on stability.

G

My only comment is that all UK made vans have the shorter A frame. Many bike racks are fitted happily to EU vans which have a longer A Frame. This allows more space between the back of the tow vehicle and the rack. The longer Frame also allows for greater noseweight tolerance. Just check that you can access the back of the vehicle easily, when it is fitted, and have room to take a sharp turn. There are also racks that fit the back of the van but again these seem to be designed more for EU vans. Obviously the requirement to balance weight and stability is necessary.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mike,

You are correct; a bike rack that takes support from the towing bracket has to be considered as part of the brackets load margin. This does mean that you have to reduce the caravans actual nose load by the same margin to prevent overloading the towing bracket. This may have a detrimental effect on the towing stability of the outfit.

Others have suggested an 'A' frame mounted rack. This means the weight of the rack and the bikes becomes part of the caravan. Most caravans prove to be nose heavy, so by adding the rack to the 'A' frame you will have to rearrange the loading of the caravan to compensate. Under no circumstances should you reposition the gas bottles. They must be carried in their proper locations.

With either the bracket or the 'A' frame mounted positions, the bikes may compromise the turning circle of the outfit.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
hi,yes you are correct in your thinking. when the bikes are carried on a carrier fitted to the car tow bracket ,the weight of the carrier,& of the bikes will need to be included in the total nose weight allowance of your car.

If the carrier were fitted to the caravan A frame you may be able to offset the increased caravan nose weight by re arranging the the load in the van to compensate. Towsure do a rear mounted caravan bike rack made by Fiamma,but you would have to check the suitability for your van

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello Mike,

You are correct; a bike rack that takes support from the towing bracket has to be considered as part of the brackets load margin. This does mean that you have to reduce the caravans actual nose load by the same margin to prevent overloading the towing bracket. This may have a detrimental effect on the towing stability of the outfit.

Others have suggested an 'A' frame mounted rack. This means the weight of the rack and the bikes becomes part of the caravan. Most caravans prove to be nose heavy, so by adding the rack to the 'A' frame you will have to rearrange the loading of the caravan to compensate. Under no circumstances should you reposition the gas bottles. They must be carried in their proper locations.

With either the bracket or the 'A' frame mounted positions, the bikes may compromise the turning circle of the outfit.
Thanks John I did mean as you say a tow bar mounted bracket not an A frame like others seem to be talking about, thanks for the info you've given, I think I need to have a rethink, I really don't want jepodise satablility

G

Sorry, but I missed that Mike wa stalking about a tow ball mounted rack. My shortsightedness assumed he was talking about a rack on the van. OK, I clean my glasses a bit more.

The only comment apart from those already made, about towball racks is that they impede access to the rear of the car significantly. Great fun if you have a puncture and need into the boot.

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, but I missed that Mike wa stalking about a tow ball mounted rack. My shortsightedness assumed he was talking about a rack on the van. OK, I clean my glasses a bit more.

The only comment apart from those already made, about towball racks is that they impede access to the rear of the car significantly. Great fun if you have a puncture and need into the boot.
Many thanks to all your comments, before I purchase I think we need to do some chin rubbing as it's not going to be as simple as buying the 1st thing that I see.

Mike

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
hi all

personally i would ditch the idea of a towbar mounted rack,instead i would go the roof rack route,we only have the one bike now for my son and we normally put it inside the van

hgv dave

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
hi all

personally i would ditch the idea of a towbar mounted rack,instead i would go the roof rack route,we only have the one bike now for my son and we normally put it inside the van

hgv dave
CC magazine this month has one fior inside the van which I am seriously considering when we downsize to a four berth without the garage at the rear, yes the bikes are light before everyone starts jumping up and down about weight distribution!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts