Bilsdale transmitter latest!

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
For the information of anyone living in or visiting North Yorkshire/Teesside/Co Durham* and likely to use Bilsdale TV transmitter please be aware that:-
Transmissions from the new mast start on Monday 22nd May on the same broadcast channels as before;
There may be short transmission interruptions whilst tests are performed;
The HD channels (station numbers 101-106) may be inactive at the start whilst the new HD aerials are erected.
[* That is anywhere from Harrogate and to the south of York up to Durham and Peterlee and many places in between.]

For clarification, broadcast channel numbers are those of the actual frequencies used on the site - which are 21, 24, 27, 40, 43 and 46. Channel 21 is the HD service and will only be available on TV receivers that have a HD tuner. Your aerial should be horizontal.
Station numbers are those that you select on the TV remote, e.g. 3 for ITV1, 10 for ITV3, 14 for Film 4 etc. The transmitter uses BBC NE and ITV Tyne-Tees on channels 1 and 3 in SD, or 101 and 103 in HD.

Bilsdale transmitter is on the ridge to the west side of the B1257 between Helmsley and Stokesley. At 300m+ high the mast is visible from a large area.

Reactions: Hutch

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Is this the one that something catastrophic happened to many months ago, causing major problems for the area; or am I making that up ( wouldnt be the first time!)
mel

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Is this the one that something catastrophic happened to many months ago, causing major problems for the area; or am I making that up ( wouldnt be the first time!)
mel

Yes, it is the one that caught fire on 10 Aug 2021. Look at tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/ and its on the front page.

I bet the view from the top is something !
The view from the ground is pretty staggering anyway!

Reactions: Mel
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I bet the view from the top is something !
It is the climbing to the top of any transmitter that is the killer. Did it once to halfway up a 500' transmitter and never again as you cannot use a safety harness during the climb. However as you say the view from the top would be fantastic.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
That is the one major thing I miss from taking early retirement almost exactly 10 years ago.
I was based at Emley Moor and had the opportunity to go up the tower very often for broadcast and mobile radio maintenance purposes. Indeed the day I retired a new DAB transmitter was coming on line and as I was the only person sitting in the office I was charged with taking a BBC Look North reporter and cameraman up top.
Oh, and you don't climb - there are two lifts up to the tower room which is at the top of the concrete section and the view is amazing (even moreso at night with a clear sky.) The non-stop passenger lift takes 7 minutes or so to travel the 900 feet: the goods lift which can stop at several points takes well over twice that time!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It is the climbing to the top of any transmitter that is the killer. Did it once to halfway up a 500' transmitter and never again as you cannot use a safety harness during the climb. However as you say the view from the top would be fantastic.
I had a friend in Nigeria who worked for Cable and Wireless, and he regularly climbed the Comms towers there, offered me the chance to go with him. I preferred to be in our Helicopter, but he was always clipped onto the structure.
FB_IMG_1508101020120.jpg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I had a friend in Nigeria who worked for Cable and Wireless, and he regularly climbed the Comms towers there, offered me the chance to go with him. I preferred to be in our Helicopter, but he was always clipped onto the structure.
View attachment 4763
The masts I had to climb were the lattice type so very difficult to clip onto the structure as you are moving up. In those days I could walk or even run for miles, but going up the mast was very challenging.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts