Biting flies

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Yesterday I was outside potting up some seedlings when I felt what was like a needle sticking in my arm. I looked and saw what I thought was an ant on my arm. I squashed it and could then see it was a fly. The fly when squashed was full of blood and I could also see a small hole on my arm which started bleeding.
I've never known a small fly biting this before and last week I had two bites on my arm within two days, both of which swelled up. Last night I was watering the garden and they were around my face and bare arms and you could lash out but they still came back.
The fly was about the size of an ant and looked like a fruit fly so I looked it up on the net. The nearest I could see was what's called a black fly (not aphid) or Blandford fly. Apparently these are small flies that have invaded from the continent. They breed in clear water so maybe that's where it got it's Blandford name from because of the Dorset chalk streams. It did say they are in plague proportions in places and there is a pesticide that kills them but it is too expensive to use.
It now looks as if they are heading north because they have reached us and are probably breeding in my fish pond. If bitten you will soon know about it because it itches like hell. I was up twice last night sat with my arm in a bowl of cold water. I did put anti-histamine cream on straight away and that seems to have stopped most of the swelling which I got with the other bites.
These voracious biters put Scottish midges in the shade.
Anyone else encountered them?

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
My OH was badly bitten by these flies a few years ago, when we were staying at Gien on the Loire, in France. He had about twenty bites on his lower legs, and they swelled up straight away, itched like mad, and didn't respond to antihistamines or the usual creams. Three or four days later, further south, they had turned into really nasty purple lumps, which wept sticky yellow fluid - one had spread over an area about as big as the bottom of a mug and he had to visit the Doctor. He was given an antiseptic wash, cream, antibiotics, and some anti-histamines which did eventually clear them up but they took about a fortnight before they disappeared completely.
The Doctor called them 'Bites of Black Flies of the Harvest' - they were the sort of thing you're describing - tiny and black flies, fatter than a midge, like a miniature housefly - and the bites look like they've actually bitten a bit out of you, rather than a puncture hole like a mosquito makes.
Just keep an eye on your bite Lord B - and see your GP if the swelling doesn't go down, or gets worse. They are little blighters and as you say, give a really nasty bite!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Val A. said:
The Doctor called them 'Bites of Black Flies of the Harvest' - they were the sort of thing you're describing - tiny and black flies, fatter than a midge, like a miniature housefly - and the bites look like they've actually bitten a bit out of you, rather than a puncture hole like a mosquito makes.

Thank you for that Val and yes, now having another look at the bite on my arm it's better described as a small incision rather than a puncture hole. Maybe the first two bites I had last week were another insect because the swelling reduced over night using the anti-histamine cream and the other after three days although they still itched. My forearm looked like Popeye's.
The bite on my arm which I've had for over 24 hours now has only swollen around the site and is very red but the cream hasn't stopped the itching. The bite on my lower leg is the same as on my arm in consistency and both are driving me nuts (no comment)
smiley-smile.gif

Your description above was spot on. There are some still in the garden and I've tried to zap them with my kinda tennis racquet electrocutor but keep missing but I've spotted quite a few trapped in spiders webs. The bu****s are making me paranoid
smiley-yell.gif

http://www.webmd.boots.com/travel/news/20100801/blandford-fly-outbreak-of-painful-bites

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
And we thought there where no flies on you LB But now you got the bites to prove us wrong

Try mixing Bi-Carb in to a thick paste and put that on

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Rita said:
Try mixing Bi-Carb in to a thick paste and put that on

Thank you Rita. Will I slide out of bed
smiley-smile.gif

Just an update. A friend of ours has visited tonight and she works as a doctors receptionist. She informs me that there have been lots of people coming in to the surgery in the last couple of weeks with inflamed/infected bites.
Here is some more info I found ....The Blandford fly
The Blandford fly (sometimes called blackfly) is found in:
  • East Anglia
  • Oxfordshire
  • Dorset
Blandford fly bites are common during May and June. They often occur on the legs and are very painful. They can produce a severe, localised reaction (a reaction that is confined to the area of the bite), with symptoms such as:
  • oedema (swelling)
  • blistering
  • a high temperature (fever) of 38C (100.4F) or over
  • joint pain

Well I've had bites on my arms and leg but the fly I identified as the Blandford fly bit me on the arm. The bite on my arm last week had the symptom of joint pain. It was in my elbow and hurt when I moved my arm. It felt as if it was bruised.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just before Easter I got two small bites on the arm in the evening and both swelled up and as you put it "itched like hell". Anti histamine cream after a liberal dose of antiseptic seemed to cure it but the swellings took a while to clear.

P.S. When I first saw the title I thought it was just another of Lord Bs funny little ways
smiley-laughing.gif

Marc

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
be careful LB you missed off your list cellulitus and if your leg starts to swell or goes red in colour and hot, get down the doctors immediately.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Maybe we should do what the colonials did in the evening whn they had theri sundowners and that is to drink gin & tonic. It worked for them and they never suffere from malaria! May work the same way and be enjoyabl at the same time.
smiley-laughing.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Not on topic but another tip for anyone who suffers with cramp, especially when in bed.
My wife was told to drink a small tot of tonic water before bed. She adds a bit of fruit juice because she doesn't like the taste. She had cramps regularly until she started taking this two years ago. She's only had cramp once since and that night she'd forgotten to take it so there must be something in it. Apparently it's to do with the quinine in tonic water.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
An update on this fly.
The day before we left on our 3 week jaunt my wife was bit on the ankle. In the past he is pleased to tell people she never gets bitten, even by the Scottish midges which she doesn't. It's me who suffers. On arrival in Cornwall the bite had blistered and started weeping, so much so that it ran down and soaked her foot. We called at Boots and the pharmacist said it was best to see a doctor which she did. The doc asked her if she had seen the culprit and she told him no but I'd looked it up on the internet after being bitten myseld and identified it as the Blandford fly. She said the doctor looked at her as if she was stupid. That night neither of us got any sleep because Her Ladyship was in such pain in her joints. After checking this is another symptom of the bite.
I also had another bite the day before we went away. This came up in weals. It still itches 4 weeks later with a red angry mark where it bit me.
While on site in Cornwall my son rang to say that the local paper and BBC Midlands Today had reported on this rise in people being bitten and I was right, it was the Blandford fly.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-13427628
If there's one near you soon you won't mistake it. Scottish midges aren't even in the same division let alone league as these nasty biters.
I just wish I could let that doc know that everyone isn't stupid and the internet does have it's uses
smiley-smile.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well Lb this is not good news for the tourist trade, The furthest West I am going this year is the M25 heading to Kent From Essex,
What sort of vampire flies are you lot breeding over there, Bye the way thought I would throw this one in , we Heard our first , Cuckoo whilst We were walking unafraid through Ferry Meadows countryside in May.
I was going to sugest Marmite, but your beloved bites sounds very painfull, Guess we will have to chuck our retirement shorts, and go back to Chinoes!!!!!!!!!
Royston

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Royston said:
Guess we will have to chuck our retirement shorts, and go back to Chinoes!!!!!!!!!
Royston

My wife, daughter and myself all got bitten around the ankles Royston and we were all wearing jeans. Apparently it's the legs that normally get bitten but I also had four bites on my arms. Keeping fingers crossed but so far we haven't been bitten since getting home last Sunday
smiley-smile.gif

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
lord of the flys or l/b just got back from devon and whent to dorset as well and iam in agony whith bites never before have i been this bad idont get bites normaly (yes kev iam to smelly for the flys) but my young muscular torrso wash to mutch for the little b.,/.,/.rds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts